USYD or UNSW Science? (1 Viewer)

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
The amusing this is that while I am reading this, the people who go to a specific university - whether UNSW or USYD will support their own university.

Man it doesn't really matter. Just chose what ever is more closer and convenient to you.

But I like UNSW so yeah.... but still chose whatever suits you best.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
(you know UNSW has a TSP thing too - and also has Advanced Science)
but USyd's are better.
UNSW's TSP programme is like USyd's SSP programme, which isn't all that special.

Advanced science at USyd is one less year and more competitive because of you get below a C or D average (depending on subject) you're fucked off into the normal classes and grad with BSc not BSc(Adv), do it pushes you to work hard.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
but USyd's are better.
UNSW's TSP programme is like USyd's SSP programme, which isn't all that special.

Advanced science at USyd is one less year and more competitive because of you get below a C or D average (depending on subject) you're fucked off into the normal classes and grad with BSc not BSc(Adv), do it pushes you to work hard.
I know for Advanced Maths, Honours is mandatory - which explains the extra year.

And we have that other thing too. Below an average of 70 for your subjects overall? Buh-bye!

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I know for Advanced Maths, Honours is mandatory - which explains the extra year.

And we have that other thing too. Below an average of 70 for your subjects overall? Buh-bye!
I've heard it's easier to score marks at UNSW. Not sure if it's true, but it's what I've heard.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Honours for advanced Maths at USyd is compulsory too I'm pretty sure.
But regular advanced science is one less year and you do like all the same stuff so I'd prefer USyd.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've heard it's easier to score marks at UNSW. Not sure if it's true, but it's what I've heard.
*shrugs*

who knows

you could find a gumleaf plot:

and figure it out from there

All I know is that there are currently like 10 Maths Honours students all up right now - and there's about 70 or so left in 2nd year Advanced Maths, who knows what the number will whittle down to by the time Honours year comes along?

Honours for advanced Maths at USyd is compulsory too I'm pretty sure.
But regular advanced science is one less year and you do like all the same stuff so I'd prefer USyd.
(just checked, advanced science is also compulsory honours at unsw)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
USYD's BSc(Adv) or BSc(Adv Maths) does NOT have compulsory honours. Honours is completely optional so you have the choice of whether you want to do it or not (whereas this choice doesn't exist at UNSW according to the posts above).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
All I know is that there are currently like 10 Maths Honours students all up right now
Whoa, that's pretty low. At the moment at USYD there's around 30+ honours students in the maths/stats department but it does fluctuate from year to year (this year was one of the highest intake of honours students).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
WOW, 35% get 75!? In my course, it's capped at 17%!
yeah, wtf?!
Just less than 5% get 90+. At usyd that's like high D/low HD.

Fuck, I should've gone to an easier Uni. :/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
WOW, 35% get 75!? In my course, it's capped at 17%!
That's the median guys. Over all courses and all faculties. Check with your uni.

USYD's BSc(Adv) or BSc(Adv Maths) does NOT have compulsory honours. Honours is completely optional so you have the choice of whether you want to do it or not (whereas this choice doesn't exist at UNSW according to the posts above).
You get 'demoted' (if that's the best word) to normal Science if you don't want to take Honours. So if you want to graduate with an Adv. Science/Maths degree, you must take honours.

Whoa, that's pretty low. At the moment at USYD there's around 30+ honours students in the maths/stats department but it does fluctuate from year to year (this year was one of the highest intake of honours students).
There's like 70 or so Adv Maths students in 2nd year right now. I just wonder how many will survive to 5th (Honours) year...

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, wtf?!
Just less than 5% get 90+. At usyd that's like high D/low HD.

Fuck, I should've gone to an easier Uni. :/
Even worse than that dude. In second year medsci (a *very* demanding course), 4% get 85+, whilst 16-17% get 75-84.

dafuq.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Even worse than that dude. In second year medsci (a *very* demanding course), 4% get 85+, whilst 16-17% get 75-84.

dafuq.
I'm swapping to advanced science engineering next year anyways. Haha

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm swapping to advanced science engineering next year anyways. Haha
don't let the fact that it's an demanding course put you off if you work your ass off you'll get there, truth be told uni is different from high school in the sense that it's the amount of work that you do which determines how well you, the only reason only 4% in med sci get 85 is because most of them don't enjoy or didn't initially want to do med scence they choice the course as an means to try to getting into medicine or den ect and thus don't enjoy it for what it is quite sad but true,i firmly believe that in order to do well in an choice u must enjoy and view it as an means to expand your knowledge base from personal experience i choice very demanding dry subjects during the hsc which i didn't really enjoy because i though they won't get me into medicine .... they didn't ... once i got into uni i chose a degree that i'd pursue if i didn't get into post grad med and ended up doing REALLY well got mostly HD moral of my start only transfers to eng is U like it and enjoy the course not because u think it's a "easier" course to get HD'S in oxoxox hope this helps

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
don't let the fact that it's an demanding course put you off if you work your ass off you'll get there, truth be told uni is different from high school in the sense that it's the amount of work that you do which determines how well you, the only reason only 4% in med sci get 85 is because most of them don't enjoy or didn't initially want to do med scence they choice the course as an means to try to getting into medicine or den ect and thus don't enjoy it for what it is quite sad but true,i firmly believe that in order to do well in an choice u must enjoy and view it as an means to expand your knowledge base from personal experience i choice very demanding dry subjects during the hsc which i didn't really enjoy because i though they won't get me into medicine .... they didn't ... once i got into uni i chose a degree that i'd pursue if i didn't get into post grad med and ended up doing REALLY well got mostly HD moral of my start only transfers to eng is U like it and enjoy the course not because u think it's a "easier" course to get HD'S in oxoxox hope this helps
Good English.

I said "anyways" as in I'm already planning on doing it regardless.

Also, I'm already doing Engineering and Medical Science, but I want to swap to Advanced Science to see what other things I can major in.

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
Good English.

I said "anyways" as in I'm already planning on doing it regardless.

Also, I'm already doing Engineering and Medical Science, but I want to swap to Advanced Science to see what other things I can major in.
lol sorry didn't much sleep ...
as for the advanced science well i know lots of mates that are doing it pretty dynamic and broad degree in the scene that you can major in pretty much anything (one of my mate is majoring in adv maths and physiology and loves it)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Erm, no.

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
what do u mean no , as if that's not true why else would someone do an med science degree, I'm not saying it's not hard and damaging degree I'm sure it is difficult getting HD in the course however EVERY med science student i've talked to is trying to transfer to to eigher med or den, and if more students picked the course simply because they want to pursue it, as a degree and not as a means to transfer to other courses maybe it would have a higher rate
- just my take on it

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
what do u mean no , as if that's not true why else would someone do an med science degree, I'm not saying it's not hard and damaging degree I'm sure it is difficult getting HD in the course however EVERY med science student i've talked to is trying to transfer to to eigher med or den, and if more students picked the course simply because they want to pursue it, as a degree and not as a means to transfer to other courses maybe it would have a higher rate
- just my take on it
No, the problem is that the number of HD's given out is capped at 4% of the students in the course. The same goes for D's and C's, with the former being around 12-17% if I recall correctly. From what I hear, (which is probably slightly exaggerated) you can get raw marks in the 80's or 90's and then get scaled down to a distinction/credit.

So out of say 400 kids, only 16 end up getting HD's. Considering the majority of the candidature is scrambling to get accepted into medicine/dentistry, everybody works hard and the mark distributions are pretty unforgiving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)