USYD or UNSW Science? (1 Viewer)

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
No, the problem is that the number of HD's given out is capped at 4% of the students in the course. The same goes for D's and C's, with the former being around 12-17% if I recall correctly. From what I hear, (which is probably slightly exaggerated) you can get raw marks in the 80's or 90's and then get scaled down to a distinction/credit.

So out of say 400 kids, only 16 end up getting HD's. Considering the majority of the candidature is scrambling to get accepted into medicine/dentistry, everybody works hard and the mark distributions are pretty unforgiving.
really? i never knew such a system existed seems pretty unfair I'm pretty sure such a system doesn't exist in my uni (however i go to uws lol) so ONLY 4 percent get a GPA between 6.5-7.0? wow ....

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
No, the problem is that the number of HD's given out is capped at 4% of the students in the course. The same goes for D's and C's, with the former being around 12-17% if I recall correctly. From what I hear, (which is probably slightly exaggerated) you can get raw marks in the 80's or 90's and then get scaled down to a distinction/credit.

So out of say 400 kids, only 16 end up getting HD's. Considering the majority of the candidature is scrambling to get accepted into medicine/dentistry, everybody works hard and the mark distributions are pretty unforgiving.
+1, thanks for explaining.

SunnyScience

HSC
Well I'm pretty much screwed in transferring to medicine for first year Medsci, aren't I then?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
First year should be okay - just do advanced everything. 2nd year onwards is the problem.
Could you explain the second part? What's so bad about later years?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Could you explain the second part? What's so bad about later years?
I can't speak for science, but the Medsc courses scale ruthlessly. 4% HD rate despite the entire cohort being head over heels competitive over getting into med.

SunnyScience

HSC
I can't speak for science, but the Medsc courses scale ruthlessly. 4% HD rate despite the entire cohort being head over heels competitive over getting into med.
Do recommend USYD or UNSW for transferring from medsci to med? Some say smaller candidature at USYD is better to transfer, but the higher HD distribution at UNSW would make transferring easier? Though I do have my heart set on USYD.

Or am I completely off?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Do recommend USYD or UNSW for transferring from medsci to med? Some say smaller candidature at USYD is better to transfer, but the higher HD distribution at UNSW would make transferring easier? Though I do have my heart set on USYD.

Or am I completely off?
Most wanting to transfer to med choose USYD, owing to the shorter undergrad degree.

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm pretty much screwed in transferring to medicine for first year Medsci, aren't I then?
i wouldn't say your screwed ... for some uni's as long as u meet the threshold they no longer consider your GPA and move on to your umat for uws for example as you long as u get achieve an 5.7 after first year they no longer look at your GPA and look towards your umat scores, hope this helps

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
Most wanting to transfer to med choose USYD, owing to the shorter undergrad degree.
what do u mean how could u transfer to syd med if Sydney only offers grad level med..

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
what do u mean how could u transfer to syd med if Sydney only offers grad level med..
I didn't say transferring to Sydney med, I meant transferring to undergrad med via the UMAT. If you don't get in, atleast you can complete your degree in three years and start working on the GAMSAT.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
To be honest Usyd's science is better. Go to UNSW for engineering though.

Riaa

HSC
I like the 'TSP' Program offered by USYD especially in the Science Faculty.
Does UNSW have a similar program?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I think they do have something similar, but judging from what I've heard on BoS it's kind of a gimmick compared to Usyd/ANU.

Raiz

HSC
Why'd u choose advanced maths is it any fun? Is it a good course overall? What do u even do in it? (very delayed response lmao coz I'm tryna figure out choices) How's UNSW compared to others?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)