• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

USYD O-Week (1 Viewer)

HSC2010

HSC
Just wanted to ask about O week... and specifically about the clubs/Societies

So how do these work? Do we just walk around and sign up with the one's we like... give them some contact details or whatever?
Also looking around on the usyd website it seems there is some sort of 'USU Access Card'... It gives the impression that we need this card to sign up for the clubs/socieities. Is that correct??

izzy88

HSC
The clubs and societies program is run by the university of sydney union, so to become a member of any club you must first become a member of the union. To become a member of the usu you buy an access card- i think it is $110 for 2011 for new members.

You can then go around and join any club you want- club membership generally costs anywhere between free and $10 (most are around $3 or $5). You just give your name/email and access card number normally. (your acces card also gives you discounts at all union run food outlets on campus etc as well as off campus stuff)

Note however that sports clubs are different- to join you have to join the sports union (generally around $55) and membership fees for sports clubs are more expensive (wide range depending on the sports).

HSC2010

HSC
The clubs and societies program is run by the university of sydney union, so to become a member of any club you must first become a member of the union. To become a member of the usu you buy an access card- i think it is $110 for 2011 for new members.
Thanks for the info.
So do we just buy this card on the day (bring $110 with us?) and then head to sign up to a few clubs/societies? Or should we buy the card before hand

Also, is there any good events on at night that are worth going to (for us over 18s)? : )

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Thanks for the info.
So do we just buy this card on the day (bring $110 with us?) and then head to sign up to a few clubs/societies? Or should we buy the card before hand
you buy the card on the day

Also, is there any good events on at night that are worth going to (for us over 18s)? : )
come to oxford st instead.
i'll show you a good time

izzy88

HSC
Thanks for the info.

You can buy on the day (they have eftpos machines so you don't need to bring cash). Just bring enough cash for joining individual clubs though. I think you can also buy access cards at enrolment (the union will be spruking, I doubt you'll miss them), which may save time as there hopefully wont be as long queues than at o-week.

I'm not sure about the program for o-week yet (hasn't been released), however i recommend getting a ticket to Beachball (generally its held in the first week or so of uni if I remember correctly) which is held at Manning- its a great party to start the semester!

for your information here is the access card website http://www.accessbenefits.com.au/#

Anyone know how much the gym costs @ USyd?
You need to buy the aprox. $55 membership of the Sports Union first. Then there are different types of membership to use the actual gym. I tend to find it quite expensive, but a lot of my friends have gym membership. Here is the website http://www.susf.com.au/

Acidliner

HSC
I noticed that there are no Literature societies :( Or am I mistaken/not looking hard enough?

izzy88

HSC
I noticed that there are no Literature societies :( Or am I mistaken/not looking hard enough?
hmm i just had a quick look at it and I can't appear to find anything very specific to literature. The closest i could get was the Arts faculty society (SASS) and the writing society (although that could be stretching it). I was fairly sure there was a Mr Darcy appreciation society at one point, but I can't seem to find it (or maybe it was called something else). I find it odd that there isn't one though. You could always start one up! :)

edit: opps sorry the Darcy appreciation must have been the 'period drama society' so more on the films than the actual books.

Last edited:

Acidliner

HSC
hmm i just had a quick look at it and I can't appear to find anything very specific to literature. The closest i could get was the Arts faculty society (SASS) and the writing society (although that could be stretching it). I was fairly sure there was a Mr Darcy appreciation society at one point, but I can't seem to find it (or maybe it was called something else). I find it odd that there isn't one though. You could always start one up! :)

edit: opps sorry the Darcy appreciation must have been the 'period drama society' so more on the films than the actual books.
Hahahah yeah, I'll ask on enrolment day. If there really isn't one, I may just as well start one :p

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I don't think there are any literature ones as such, but there's the writing society if you're interested in that. There is a focus on actual writing, but some groups within look at reviewing and discussing various pieces of literature too.

edit: to start a society, all you need is 20 people!

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Thanks for the info.

It might be worth considering buying the card online and only going to pick it up at uni. That way you won't have to deal with the long queues.

And there are usually some great events on at night, pretty sure they're doing a silent disco one night, and the friday night they usually get some bands in at manning. Various poker tournaments and such.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
ALSO: I'll be working in the Access Card tent, telling people about different access options before you buy the card, so come say hi :D

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ALSO: I'll be working in the Access Card tent, telling people about different access options before you buy the card, so come say hi :D
Far out I missed the jobs by like one week because I was overseas :(

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Far out I missed the jobs by like one week because I was overseas :(
well they had about 170 people apply for 30 positions, so a heap of people who weren't overseas failed as well.

Are you looking for an actual job or just a temporary thing? The careers site sends out an email almost daily about jobs on offer.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
well they had about 170 people apply for 30 positions, so a heap of people who weren't overseas failed as well.

Are you looking for an actual job or just a temporary thing? The careers site sends out an email almost daily about jobs on offer.
just a temporary thing for o-week would've been fine. Do they send to your usyd email? Barely ever check that these days!

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
just a temporary thing for o-week would've been fine. Do they send to your usyd email? Barely ever check that these days!
yeah they do, but i have it set up so all uni emails get forwarded to my main email account

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)