USYD - Masters in Engineering (Chemical and Bio-molecular) (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Hello,

I am considering doing a Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) for 3 years before undertaking a Masters in Engineering for another 1.5 years.
According to the USYD Masters of Engineering site, I can do a Bachelor of Science degree before doing a Masters in Engineering provided by chosen specialization in Engineering (which is Chemical and Bio-molecular) is similar to my majors undertaken in the Science degree.

So my question is, what majors would I have to do in order to satisfy the admission requirements into a Masters in Chemical Engineering.

Thank You.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hey.

I'm surprised you can do this. Is it possible to do a double degree though?

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the USyd site so I can't really help on that note :S

And do you mean "majors" or "subjects"?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Hey.

I'm surprised you can do this. Is it possible to do a double degree though?

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the USyd site so I can't really help on that note :S

And do you mean "majors" or "subjects"?
Yes you can do this, it is what is said on the website, I can do a double degree which is 5 years but my plan and circumstances find it not very preferable

Can anyone help or will I need to contact the Dean

HSC
Just major in both Chemistry and Biology...you can undertake a double major in the B Sc (Adv) but under degree requirements you NEED to do a major in Mathematics, Statistics, or Financial Mathematics and Statistics to graduate with a B Sc (Adv Maths).

So what you need to do is switch into the B Sc (Adv) or just B Sc and then complete a double (or single - ask about this) major in Biology and Chemistry.

(You could do a double major in B Sc (Adv Maths) with Mathematics major and a Chemistry major, but I think for you, Biology and Chemistry double major would be better as a background into engineering - you only need up to 2nd year mathematics - 1 calculus course - to satisfy most mathematics requirements of the B Eng)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Just major in both Chemistry and Biology...you can undertake a double major in the B Sc (Adv) but under degree requirements you NEED to do a major in Mathematics, Statistics, or Financial Mathematics and Statistics to graduate with a B Sc (Adv Maths).

So what you need to do is switch into the B Sc (Adv) or just B Sc and then complete a double (or single - ask about this) major in Biology and Chemistry.

(You could do a double major in B Sc (Adv Maths) with Mathematics major and a Chemistry major, but I think for you, Biology and Chemistry double major would be better as a background into engineering - you only need up to 2nd year mathematics - 1 calculus course - to satisfy most mathematics requirements of the B Eng)
Thank you very much for your response, I will try to investigate the Mathematics/Chemistry dual major option though, I will probably need to contact the faculty of engineering for a more specific response.

HSC
Why do you want to do B Sc and ME? Why not B Sc / B E? There are many preparatory units in the B E (e.g. Engineering Computing) you should take - but that is your choice.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yes you can do this, it is what is said on the website, I can do a double degree which is 5 years but my plan and circumstances find it not very preferable

Can anyone help or will I need to contact the Dean
Try contacting and ask them if there is a typical course structure via this route.

I know that by doing a BE ME instead of just a BE, I had a completely different course structure with minimal flexibility. When I contacted the uni, they advised that I was required to do specific subjects in first semester alongside second year BE students.

So there will be a huge difference in what to do by doing a maths degree then doing engineering in comparison to the more popular route of double degree BE BE.

member117532

HSC
Why don't you do a double degree in science and engineering? It takes about the same time.
At unimelb you have to do 8 engineering subjects in undergrad to be able to get into the master of engineering and finish it in 2 years. Otherwise, if you don't do engineering subjects in your undergrad, masters of engineering takes 2.5 to 3 years.
I don't know how USYD works though.
In my opinion, after you finish your mathematics degree, do a master of actuarial studies. A very challenging mathematical degree in which your mathematical skills can be put to great use estimating when people will die. The pay is also great (in 5 years you will be earning around 175k).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)