USyd LAW VS ANU LAW (1 Viewer)

Bananapyjama

HSC
Posted this in the ANU boards aswell, but just posting it here for a second opinion... well here goes

Hey all, My name is Nick and I graduated last year with a UAI of 99.65. I'm currently on a GAP year, living with my family in Canberra and working full time and wish to study Commerce/Law at University next year. My heart has been set on the University of Sydney ever since the beginning of year 12. I was stoked naturally, when I realised I made it in, and deferred my offer for a year of work- in order to have some money as security once I'm down in Sydney (I hear its expensive there).

The reason I am making this thread however, is because I'm starting to have a tinge reluctance in moving to Sydney. Firstly, and mainly, the money factor. I think I will easily be able to support myself, however I'd rather not sacrifice my university results in doing so, I'd prefer to have no job whilst studying. Also I'm not sure if I'm ready to move away from home yet.

In light of the above, I've began considering staying here in Canberra and studying Commerce/Law at ANU. Is this course prestigious? How would it compared to USyd? I really want to work in a top class law firm in the future, will my chances be deterred by studying Law at ANU instead of the University of Sydney (which I hear is the best in Australia for law).

One thing thats keeping me away from Law at ANU is the cut-off needed (its only 95)
Most prestigious G8 Universities require 98+ (UNSW, USyd, UQ, Monash etc)

However, ANU is only a 95? Why is that? I sort of feel as if I'd be wasting my ENTER if I went there. And since the cutoff is low, are law firms reluctant to take on ANU law grads. Is the quality of the law course as good as other G8 Universities?

Also with a 99.45, am I eligible for any scholarships at ANU?

Thank-you for the help everyone. In summary, I would ideally love to stay at ANU but I'm reluctant to do so because I think the prestige is low, please tell me I'm wrong :) It would fix everything

Last edited:

Alex499

HSC
I go to Sydney and love it, but ANU is generally considered the best university in Australia rank wise. The reason the UAI cut off is lower is because it's in Canberra. Who wants to move to Canberra? So if you're worrying about prestige, well... I wouldn't. ANU is a great uni.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You'd prefer to have no job whilst studying, how do you plan to secure a job at a big law firm with no experience?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
stop posting

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
its the same source schroe quoted a few posts up ^_^
nah to be fair he posted a link which contained the jiao asian ching chang school and tmes education rankings

albeit

rankings that had nothing to do with law schools

fuck off back to unsw nolan

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
GO SYDNEY!

Give me a "S", Give me a "Y" and you know how the rest goes:rofl:

4jess7lov

HSC
You'd prefer to have no job whilst studying, how do you plan to secure a job at a big law firm with no experience?
i really hate ignorance.
law firms do not at all care about work experience like mcdonalds or subway and of that nature. they care about firstly grades and what uni you went to and if you have any LEGAL based law experience like summer clerkships. having experience at a cafe and places like that has no bearing whatsoever...i mean think about it, why would they care about that? having a job like that just detracts from time studying which they would prefer.

also, ranking of universities is a very tricky issue. almost all ranking systems place high proportions on research and research funding. ANU is 'ranked' first in australia because it is the national research university. USYD has, and for the foreseable future will have the best law school. they have the highest "prestigious law firm' entry rate and have the most supreme and federal judges and the law school is far above any other in terms of falculty experice and ties with the legal world, both in australia and overseas, testament to exchange deals with harvard and alike..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
i really hate ignorance.
law firms do not at all care about work experience like mcdonalds or subway and of that nature. they care about firstly grades and what uni you went to and if you have any LEGAL based law experience like summer clerkships. having experience at a cafe and places like that has no bearing whatsoever...i mean think about it, why would they care about that? having a job like that just detracts from time studying which they would prefer.
I suggested he get experience, not that he spend all his time working at McDonald's. Legal experience isn't that hard to come by, I mean I'm doing a B Engineering and they employed me...

EDIT: Also having experience in retail can be a stepping stone to getting office work. Punctuality, discipline and application to your work are important across all industries.

CGSAJA

HSC
This is a tough choice that I too am struggling with. Although I am still battling with the HSC at the moment I have had my heart set on USyd for a very long time (like the past four years or so) and it's kind of crushing that somewhere deep down I know I'll probably not get in. (My god I long for the days where I could have bought my way in and just run up my HECS debt from here to eternity, but alas) Having said that, ANU is right on my doorstep and 95 isn't as difficult as a 99+. Anyway, if I were you mate, I would definitely go to Sydney, rather than always wondering what could have been. 99.45 or .65 or whatever you got is an excellent HSC result and you're right, as conceited as it may sound, it would be a waist going to the ANU. If USyd isn't for you then come home to Canbe-hole, but go to USyd, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity! SEIZE IT. Good luck.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
...I think you may have missed the point there, Justin Simon.
She called me ignorant for suggesting that a person who had zero employment experience might have difficulty finding work at Clayton Utz upon graduation from their LLB. Or was there another point buried in there somewhere?

EDIT: Specifically regarding the thread, ANU is a fucking tops university. A degree from there will be reckoned just as highly as one from USyd.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Oh what I thought she meant is that law firms don't give a crap about experience in general, rather than at subway.

either way we're in agreeance that it sounds like complete tosh.

schroe said:
But then who will vote for you for SRC?!

Oh that's right, no one.
Excuse me.

But I received TWO (2) votes. Yeah!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)