USyd Interview for High School Leavers??? (1 Viewer)

Jacob1991

HSC
apparently it's different to the interviews they give to people who've already studied at uni before.
So they tell me that there is a 10 min writing task.. what's that all about?!?!?
Is this interview similar to the UNSW one i.e. what do they focus on?

One last thing - i hear they accept like 10-20 school leavers, but there are only so many 99.95 ATARs who applied for USyd Comb. Med. Does this mean that if i got an interview, i have a good chance of making it?

ssglain

HSC
So are you heading in for an interview tomorrow or Friday? Good luck! :)

The interview is fairly similar to the UNSW one. But in addition to the standard questions about your personality, qualities, values, family & friends, motivations to study medicine, expect to be asked to explain why you are choosing the particular combined degree and what your directions are in the area that you're combining with medicine.

As for you chances of getting an offer after the interview, yes the acceptance rate is certainly a lot higher than other medical programs for the obvious reason that only about 40-50 people in the entire country are eligible to apply. But at the same time, the competition is a lot tougher because every single applicant has a shining academic records and comprehensive life experience.

Jacob1991

HSC
So are you heading in for an interview tomorrow or Friday? Good luck! :)

The interview is fairly similar to the UNSW one. But in addition to the standard questions about your personality, qualities, values, family & friends, motivations to study medicine, expect to be asked to explain why you are choosing the particular combined degree and what your directions are in the area that you're combining with medicine.

As for you chances of getting an offer after the interview, yes the acceptance rate is certainly a lot higher than other medical programs for the obvious reason that only about 40-50 people in the entire country are eligible to apply. But at the same time, the competition is a lot tougher because every single applicant has a shining academic records and comprehensive life experience.
thanks so much!
I would've never thought about why i chose combine with adv. science :p
Btw are there any scenario or detechnicalisation questions? and what's the writing task all about?
And i am heading there tomorrow, my interview is the first one at 9.00am.

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
Jacob1991 said:
thanks so much!
You are most welcome. :)

Jacob1991 said:
I would've never thought about why i chose combine with adv. science :p
So why are you going to study Science (Adv)/MBBS? Have you thought about which areas of science you want to study?

Jacob1991 said:
Btw are there any scenario or detechnicalisation questions? and what's the writing task all about?
As much as I'd like to help you, I can't really answer those questions in detail. But as I said, it's very similar to the UNSW interview (at least when I did it). Just have a relaxed chat with your interviews and talk about what inspires you. Plus, with your English marks, you should have no problem with the writing task. (Very impressive results there!)

Jacob1991

HSC
^ Yeh i've thought about the advanced science course and at the moment, applied mathematics seems to appeal to me the most, simply because i enjoy mathematics.
Anyways, im back to thinking about why i want to become a doctor.
Again, thanks for all the help :shy:

juggernaut

HSC
why the hell combine adv science (computer science) with medicine ... ludicrous !

ssglain

HSC
Jacob1991 said:
Yeh i've thought about the advanced science course and at the moment, applied mathematics seems to appeal to me the most, simply because i enjoy mathematics.
Haha that was exactly what I planned. But I guess statistics is just another form of applied maths.

How did the interview go?

why the hell combine adv science (computer science) with medicine ... ludicrous !
I'm guessing you've never heard of medical informatics? I've been involved in medical informatics projects with the Biomedical & Multimedia IT Research Group and the RPA Hospital for the past 6 months through USyd's Talented Students Program and I'm now continuing this work as part of a summer research scholarship.

It's a bit silly to underestimate the relevance of computer science when it has so many obvious applications in medicine (and, in fact, almost every modern professional field - scientific or otherwise).

Last edited:

Jacob1991

HSC
the interview was soo much easier than the UNSW one.
There were literally 5 questions and the common 'why u wanna become a doctor didnt even turn up' :p

And i felt kinda intimidated there, everyone in my time slot are the DUXes of their schools... freaky.
Anyways, i reckon i went pretty ok
thanks for all ur help

Jacob

ssglain

HSC
the interview was soo much easier than the UNSW one.
There were literally 5 questions and the common 'why u wanna become a doctor didnt even turn up' :p
Actually, no one asked why I wanted to become a doctor in any of my interviews. Guess they're sick of hearing the same thing again and again?

5 questions sound really short... How long did it go for? When I did it, the writing task was 15 mins and the interview was 45 mins. Maybe they're trying something different this year...

Jacob1991 said:
And i felt kinda intimidated there, everyone in my time slot are the DUXes of their schools... freaky.
You shouldn't be intimidated at all - you did just as well as everyone else. But how come you're not dux with an ATAR of 99.95?

By the way, I walked through Edward Ford yesterday and saw a couple of interviewees in suits on a 35 degree day. Haha :p

Jacob1991

HSC
Actually, no one asked why I wanted to become a doctor in any of my interviews. Guess they're sick of hearing the same thing again and again?

5 questions sound really short... How long did it go for? When I did it, the writing task was 15 mins and the interview was 45 mins. Maybe they're trying something different this year...

You shouldn't be intimidated at all - you did just as well as everyone else. But how come you're not dux with an ATAR of 99.95?

By the way, I walked through Edward Ford yesterday and saw a couple of interviewees in suits on a 35 degree day. Haha :p

For this year, it was meant to be a 10 min writing task and 15-20 min interview - for me it was like 17 ish min.
And i am the Dux of my school, but to see how many people like me around... really puts me in my place :p

And yeh.. the weather.. WOW! Lucky i got there like 30 min earlier so i had enuf time to cool down a bit before the interview started :D And apparently, i should be getting call today or tomorrow, telling me whether i made it or not. *fingers crossed*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)