USYD enrolment question (1 Viewer)

skellyman

HSC
I'm a 2022 graduate and I've recieved an offer for Bachelor of Science (Medical Science) at USYD. After enrolling, and choosing all my minors and majors, I've had to request exceptions for a good chunk of my units, like requesting exceptions about increasing the limit on units (as is required by medical science i think), but I've also had to request exceptions for doing certain units because I haven't met the prerequisites for those courses, even though I'm an undergraduate high school leaver. If anyone has experience with enrolling into Medical Science at USYD, could you please give me some advice?

If need be, I can send pictures of the units that I'm asking exceptions for.

I've been waiting on the "Not started" status for my exception requests since the week of recieving the offers, and I'd just like to ask if anyone knows anything about this process.

idkkdi

HSC
I'm a 2022 graduate and I've recieved an offer for Bachelor of Science (Medical Science) at USYD. After enrolling, and choosing all my minors and majors, I've had to request exceptions for a good chunk of my units, like requesting exceptions about increasing the limit on units (as is required by medical science i think), but I've also had to request exceptions for doing certain units because I haven't met the prerequisites for those courses, even though I'm an undergraduate high school leaver. If anyone has experience with enrolling into Medical Science at USYD, could you please give me some advice?

If need be, I can send pictures of the units that I'm asking exceptions for.

I've been waiting on the "Not started" status for my exception requests since the week of recieving the offers, and I'd just like to ask if anyone knows anything about this process.
ye it's a pain. i think just call or get in their face on campus if ur worried

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Having had a look at the enrolment example provided for the Bachelor of Science, you appear to be correct in that you are required to take units beyond the normal limit, at least in your first year, although the total credit value for a semester would still be 24 despite the fact that you would be taking 5 units instead of 4. The reason for this seems to be that 2 of the 5 units are only worth 3 credit points each instead of the standard 6 at USyd. From your second year onwards, you would get back to taking 4 units per semester, each worth 6 credit points.

It is possible that the units for which you have not met prerequisites are meant to be taken in your second semester (perhaps you could confirm whether this is the case?). Given that you have not yet completed your first semester, it is normal that you have not yet met those prerequisites. Here, I refer to the following information from USyd's website:

"If you’re enrolling for Semester 1, you will also select units for Semester 2 so it’s important to plan ahead before enrolment starts."

Generally speaking, it is not uncommon to request an exception for a unit the prerequisite(s) of which you might have not met under rather unusual circumstances. I was in a similar situation (although at a different university), where I was not eligible to take a particular unit in the first semester of my second year despite the recommended sequence for my degree specifying that the unit is indeed meant to be taken in the first semester of the second year. I ended up applying for a rule waiver (WSU's equivalent of USyd's enrolment exception requests). As long as you provide a valid reason, your request should be approved.

Alternatively, you can always contact USyd directly about this as idkkdi suggested because they are the ones who can provide you with the most accurate advice regarding your enrolment.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)