USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxreth

HSC
Re: Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread

just checked Sydney student and got a completion letter today XD
oh awesome, where did you go to see that?

EDIT: Figured it out, but still cant see mine. Not sure why.

Last edited:

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

pdf link doesn't work?

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A

I have basically no bio background lol, so if it's basic that's good.

It looks like a lot of memorisation though which is the only thing that worries me.
If you stay on top of it week–week it's quite manageable. If you're a visual learner you'll also like the tutorials! Lots of slides to stare at.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

If you stay on top of it week–week it's quite manageable. If you're a visual learner you'll also like the tutorials! Lots of slides to stare at.
If my special permission gets approved I think I will give it a go, it looks pretty interesting.

One last problem with my subject selections, I thought about trying STAT2911 but turns out it clashes with metric spaces so idk what to do lol.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

If my special permission gets approved I think I will give it a go, it looks pretty interesting.

One last problem with my subject selections, I thought about trying STAT2911 but turns out it clashes with metric spaces so idk what to do lol.
If it's just the lectures it clashes with then it should be fine since most lecture material is uploaded online anyway. Only time you would need to come in is for quizzes and briefly at the beginning of lecture to hand in assignments.

engineering

HSC
N/A

Perhaps your faculty has not yet finished processing all the potential graduates.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I've drafted out my guide to exchange studies and will post soon once I let more things pop into my mind.

Can you guys list a few things you want me to cover so I know I have all my bases covered?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

My main concerns were costs and credit equivalency.

Not too sure whether I will be going on exchange now after all but it would be good to have that information just in case :).

pHyRe

HSC

I've drafted out my guide to exchange studies and will post soon once I let more things pop into my mind.

Can you guys list a few things you want me to cover so I know I have all my bases covered?
difficulty of unis (i.e. wam cuttoffs) i know it's supposedly holistic but even my my daddy is obama and im the CEO of morgan stanley i think id struggle to get into Berkley with a 65 wam

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

difficulty of unis (i.e. wam cuttoffs) i know it's supposedly holistic but even my my daddy is obama and im the CEO of morgan stanley i think id struggle to get into Berkley with a 65 wam
There is no "WAM cut-off" because they will just take the top few people. E.g. if they could only take 5, they'd take those with the 5 highest WAM's, and this could change from semester to semester. That said, you have to write stuff for USYD and that could help you out if your WAM isnt exceptionally high, although I'm not too sure how much this affects anything. There was a pdf posted a while ago that had the WAM's of people in UNSW who got accepted into exchange programs, so maybe try searching for that to give you an idea. I can't remember a whole lot from it, except that the cut-off for NYU was over 92.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Anyone done FINC3021: Finance Theory recently? How mathematical is it? What's it like?

Also asking for a friend, does anyone know/have done NUTM3001? If so what is it like?

pHyRe

HSC

There is no "WAM cut-off" because they will just take the top few people. E.g. if they could only take 5, they'd take those with the 5 highest WAM's, and this could change from semester to semester. That said, you have to write stuff for USYD and that could help you out if your WAM isnt exceptionally high, although I'm not too sure how much this affects anything. There was a pdf posted a while ago that had the WAM's of people in UNSW who got accepted into exchange programs, so maybe try searching for that to give you an idea. I can't remember a whole lot from it, except that the cut-off for NYU was over 92.
sure but like ATAR cut offs, by looking at the cutoffs of previous years you can at least get a gauge of where you need to be. i can tell you right now 70 wam wont get you into UCLA based on previous years. 85 might though. But for other unis it's a lot less clear

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

sure but like ATAR cut offs, by looking at the cutoffs of previous years you can at least get a gauge of where you need to be. i can tell you right now 70 wam wont get you into UCLA based on previous years. 85 might though. But for other unis it's a lot less clear
You're right. Unfortunately USYD doesn't show what the cut-offs for unis were in previous semesters however, so the only way you'd get the info you're looking for is by asking people who went on exchange to whichever uni you're interested in what their WAM was at their time of application (which will be quite an awkward conversation unless they're your friend lol).

There is a second way to get a general idea though, and that's by seeing what the WAMs were for UNSW. If you followed my earlier suggestion, you'd get to this thread, which has this pdf posted by HeyJes. University partner list differs of course, and demand at UNSW can be different to demand at USYD because of the general difference between USYD and UNSW culture (UNSW more tech-y, USYD more Arts-y) and other reasons, but if you just want get an idea of the WAM cut-offs it should serve well.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

It's not holistic, I'm pretty sure it's almost exclusively by WAM. Most universities, you can get in with 75 except the very top ones like University of California, Penn, Cornell, UCL, and Georgetown. The ones labeled as "Very competitive", you should have 80+ but realistically, 85+ for some of them. Though, I wouldn't recommend applying to UC because you have no idea where you're actually going to go. Usually 10 go to UC, around 4 go to UC Berkeley, 1 to UCLA, and the others are from a random mix of the others like UCSB, UCSD, and UCI which are all respectable and top notch schools but you also run the risk of lower tier ones lime Merced and Riverside...

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

It's not holistic, I'm pretty sure it's almost exclusively by WAM. Most universities, you can get in with 75 except the very top ones like University of California, Penn, Cornell, UCL, and Georgetown. The ones labeled as "Very competitive", you should have 80+ but realistically, 85+ for some of them. Though, I wouldn't recommend applying to UC because you have no idea where you're actually going to go. Usually 10 go to UC, around 4 go to UC Berkeley, 1 to UCLA, and the others are from a random mix of the others like UCSB, UCSD, and UCI which are all respectable and top notch schools but you also run the risk of lower tier ones lime Merced and Riverside...
Well there is the personal statement of motivation thingy that they ask you to write, although not sure how much that affects whether you get in or not.

Regarding UC, don't you get to pick the first few campus preferences? So if you don't put Merced down, then they won't give it to you right? I didn't look into it much when I applied (knew I didnt have much chance), but I thought that's how it worked. Also another number, I heard from someone (reputable, but forgotten who) that around 55 people apply for UC.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

You're right. Unfortunately USYD doesn't show what the cut-offs for unis were in previous semesters however, so the only way you'd get the info you're looking for is by asking people who went on exchange to whichever uni you're interested in what their WAM was at their time of application (which will be quite an awkward conversation unless they're your friend lol).

There is a second way to get a general idea though, and that's by seeing what the WAMs were for UNSW. If you followed my earlier suggestion, you'd get to this thread, which has this pdf posted by HeyJes. University partner list differs of course, and demand at UNSW can be different to demand at USYD because of the general difference between USYD and UNSW culture (UNSW more tech-y, USYD more Arts-y) and other reasons, but if you just want get an idea of the WAM cut-offs it should serve well.
Looking at these cutoffs, I'm not really sure how accurate, you really will have +/-10 because USyd and UNSW can have massive placement number differences and there's less places universities at USyd like, we have a lot less Big 10 schools. I'm surprised some of their universities have such a low cutoff like ETH Zurich. Still, better than nothing...

If I were to recommend US universities (for academics), they would be Cornell, Penn, Rochester, Georgetown, and GWU. US public universities seem to be pretty poorly resourced when it comes to teaching. I've heard better about private ones.

Anyway, I'd also recommend not going to the US unless you have a reason for picking the US (eg US college sport etc) since their teaching style involves A LOT of homework (like, a few hours per week, per subject) so the coursework is pretty dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)