USYD B Eco v.s MAQ B Com-Prof Accntg + B Appd Finance (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Can I just say I often lurk these forums more than I post and if you get advice from Azure on here, you won't get any better from anyone else. What he said here is 100% true, Macquarie being viewed as a "b grade" university comes from exactly that, HSC students who think USYD and UNSW are the holy grail's of universities despite never attending a university. Every university has it's pro's and con's but they change for every individual and what they wish to take out of their university experience.

As for career development, if you are good enough for the job you will get it, employees look so far beyond a sheet of paper. A university does can not teach you drive or determination, nor can it teach you people skills or help you develop initiative and aspiration. Do you know who teaches you that? Yourself! So if you hold these qualities for success, that will give you your competitive advantage. Sure a degree from Usyd looks nice and neat, but unless you can exhibit that attributes that will allow you to succeed, that piece of paper will mean nothing, and neither will the institute from where you obtained it.
A lot of you newbies need to learn that the choice you make at 18, and how you did in the HSC is not a reflection of employable you are after you graduate. I know people who did better than me in the HSC, and then they slid backwards. Other people have excelled after graduating from high school and entering university. The university you go to does not provide employers with an indication of how value has been added to your education and communication skills. This is not how employment works and if this practice was actually practiced by HR, I assure you their employees would be absolute dross. Azure, gsweeper, enoilgam, izzy88 among others have the right idea about how the real world works. Unlike the lot of you high school kids who haven't gone to university, we have an understanding of how life after graduation works unlike the lot of you who seem to operate on hearsay.

I don't want to come across as aggressive, but the sheer volume of misconceptions about how important going to University X is in regards to your future is really starting to annoy me now.

gsweeper

HSC
My point is just that USYD opens up more oppurtunities and that it is better ranked in the world than MACQ. Plus it has better exchange partners. Thus, those schools see it as being on par with them. Hence MACQ having average partners at best.
I think that is a pretty unfair statement, I'm going on exchange this year and my application process was made extremely difficult by the amount of quality universities MQ is partnered with, particularly in mainland Europe; Stockholm School of Economics, University of Copenhagen, Aarhus University, University of Zurich, University of Geneva, University of Munich, Berlin School of Economics and Law, University of Utrecht and Tilburg University, University of Vienna, University of Oslo...I can keep going.

Point i'm trying to make is that sure Macq isn't exposed to as many universities at Usyd, in particular within the US and UK, but to say these Universities are average is a pretty big insult to them.

Proteus

HSC
so which one did you end up taking?

so which one did you end up taking?
Thanks for everybody's helfpul and useful insights, I forgot to say I ended up choosing USYD's B Economics, largely on the basis that I had more friends going there and it was closer.

I've heard people transferring into B Commerce really easily from B Economics, I've also heard my 2nd year mentor say that she had a "few" friends that transferred into Macquarie and said USYD was "shit".

I will see how everything goes, as it increasingly seems (at least to me) flexible, in terms of transferring and what not.

Thank you once again to everyone!

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of you newbies need to learn that the choice you make at 18, and how you did in the HSC is not a reflection of employable you are after you graduate. I know people who did better than me in the HSC, and then they slid backwards. Other people have excelled after graduating from high school and entering university. The university you go to does not provide employers with an indication of how value has been added to your education and communication skills. This is not how employment works and if this practice was actually practiced by HR, I assure you their employees would be absolute dross. Azure, gsweeper, enoilgam, izzy88 among others have the right idea about how the real world works. Unlike the lot of you high school kids who haven't gone to university, we have an understanding of how life after graduation works unlike the lot of you who seem to operate on hearsay.

I don't want to come across as aggressive, but the sheer volume of misconceptions about how important going to University X is in regards to your future is really starting to annoy me now.
Holy balls! Respect!

is a roflcopter
HSC
all other things being equal, the university matters. alot.
case in point, our HR dept in sydney does not accept UWS/UTS/Macq resumes
so good choice picking usyd

btw dont come to hong kong, accountants get raped here (15hour+ days) and get paid about 18k AUD a year

Cl324

HSC
N/A
all other things being equal, the university matters. alot.
case in point, our HR dept in sydney does not accept UWS/UTS/Macq resumes
so good choice picking usyd

btw dont come to hong kong, accountants get raped here (15hour+ days) and get paid about 18k AUD a year
Woah not even UTS or MAQ? Has it always been like that or is it because the job market sucks right now

is a roflcopter
HSC
investment banking has always been unjustifiably elitist
and now more than ever since theres a big cut in job offers without a corresponding drop in supply of uni graduates

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
The only true Ivys now are Yale, Harvard and Princeton as school such as Stanford, NYU, MIT, UofCal have appeared and are considered to be better.
And duh people would prefer Ivy in the US as they see that they are the only place with decent Education. But for not Ivy or Top 10 they consider Australian schools to be pretty good. But anyways for US finance you must do Post-grad anyways. My point is just that USYD opens up more oppurtunities and that it is better ranked in the world than MACQ. Plus it has better exchange partners. Thus, those schools see it as being on par with them. Hence MACQ having average partners at best.

Name is Clive Holmes. Owns Silverfern Co-Investment. And my bad. He went to Victoria, which is ranked lower than Auckland. So look him up if you want. It is a true story!
I would of thought Wharton UPenn is a pretty good Ivy for business career prospects (MBA and what-not).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)