USYD ATAR cutoff leniency (1 Viewer)

THElorax17

HSC
Hi guys!
I had a question and it’s kinda urgent but I got a 97 atar and I put USYD’s physiotherapy course as my first preference. The atar required is a 99.5 with adjustments but I’m not sure if I’m eligible for any adjustments. I previously thought I’d get points through the academic excellence scheme because of my band 6 in adv ENG but the course is exempt from the scheme. So I’m kinda worried I won’t get in. How strict are they with Atar requirments and since the cutoffs are falling in the news, is there a possibility of me being accepted?

pls help 😭

HSC
in 2023, the median atar of students who received an offer to usyd's physiotherapy course was 98.95, which you can see using this link - https://www.sydney.edu.au/engage/sc...rces/student-and-atar-admission-profiles.html. i would say that unless demand has significantly fallen since last year, a 97 atar might not be enough :/ however, the 99.5 atar to get into physio is only indicative, which means that it is possible to get in with a lower atar.

eta: the lowest selection rank was 99.55 in 2023

Last edited:

cossine

HSC
Hi guys!
I had a question and it’s kinda urgent but I got a 97 atar and I put USYD’s physiotherapy course as my first preference. The atar required is a 99.5 with adjustments but I’m not sure if I’m eligible for any adjustments. I previously thought I’d get points through the academic excellence scheme because of my band 6 in adv ENG but the course is exempt from the scheme. So I’m kinda worried I won’t get in. How strict are they with Atar requirments and since the cutoffs are falling in the news, is there a possibility of me being accepted?

pls help 😭
The lowest selection rank was 98.1. This is given by UAC website. I would double check if there any other ways you could get bonus points. Whatever the case you should still keep USYD physiotherapy as first preference.

Also consider taking other course e.g., podiatry, speech pathology you are interested in the health domain.

THElorax17

HSC
Thank you so much for the info guys appreciate it!

I have thought about unsw’s physio, it’s second on my preferences but I think one of the things putting me off is that it’s a bachelors and masters combined degree and you start placement quite late into the course at unsw as it’s a bachelor of exercise science and then a masters of physiotherapy.

ill still keepusyd as my first preference but I’ll be more realistic, I changed my preferences quite late anyway, they previously all health sciences because I wasn’t expecting myatar😭

bassamjr

HSC
Thank you so much for the info guys appreciate it!

I have thought about unsw’s physio, it’s second on my preferences but I think one of the things putting me off is that it’s a bachelors and masters combined degree and you start placement quite late into the course at unsw as it’s a bachelor of exercise science and then a masters of physiotherapy.

ill still keepusyd as my first preference but I’ll be more realistic, I changed my preferences quite late anyway, they previously all health sciences because I wasn’t expecting myatar😭
hey, i'm also applying to the physiotherapy course at USYD. I got an atar of 95.80 but I think I'll still get in due to bonus points. You can get bonus points from getting dux, the educational access scheme (which would've been done by now), and if you reside in the bottom 25% you can get in through the MySydney scholarship. If you aren't eligible for any of these, your chances of getting in really depends on the competition this year. I would say though, if you're able to, I highly recommend having physiotherapy at ACU as your second preference. Ik the uni is new and 'irrelevent' but the physiotherapy course there is being heavily funded by the government since it's a new course, and there's 100% employability rate and it's 4 years instead of 5 at UNSW. I initially wanted UNSW as second but in my opinion 5 years is dragging it because you'd be learning exercise science and exercise physiology, and it's a trimester which means less holiday time and more time studying since you're almost doing 3 degrees. But yeah that's just what I think, it also depends on what you feel like but goodluck with whatever happens.

THElorax17

HSC
hey, i'm also applying to the physiotherapy course at USYD. I got an atar of 95.80 but I think I'll still get in due to bonus points. You can get bonus points from getting dux, the educational access scheme (which would've been done by now), and if you reside in the bottom 25% you can get in through the MySydney scholarship. If you aren't eligible for any of these, your chances of getting in really depends on the competition this year. I would say though, if you're able to, I highly recommend having physiotherapy at ACU as your second preference. Ik the uni is new and 'irrelevent' but the physiotherapy course there is being heavily funded by the government since it's a new course, and there's 100% employability rate and it's 4 years instead of 5 at UNSW. I initially wanted UNSW as second but in my opinion 5 years is dragging it because you'd be learning exercise science and exercise physiology, and it's a trimester which means less holiday time and more time studying since you're almost doing 3 degrees. But yeah that's just what I think, it also depends on what you feel like but goodluck with whatever happens.
unfortunately i wont be getting my sydney but areas around me would, i read that on the website that they said something about the school that you go to could potentially add bonus points which I think I could get as the area I attend school in is disadvantaged?

bassamjr

HSC
unfortunately i wont be getting my sydney but areas around me would, i read that on the website that they said something about the school that you go to could potentially add bonus points which I think I could get as the area I attend school in is disadvantaged?
USYD is strict with what school they'd give bonus points to, but you might get it because other unis do that. What did you end up receiving an offer for?

THElorax17

HSC
USYD is strict with what school they'd give bonus points to, but you might get it because other unis do that. What did you end up receiving an offer for?
Got into UNSW, im really happy about it but im still kinda bummed about not getting into USYD. Im still keeping it as first preference into january rounds whilst accepting the UNSW offer

What about you?

THElorax17

HSC
hmm that is odd, idk why UNSW is asking for a higher selection rank for later offers when naturally you would think that they would let people with lower selection ranks in. However, it seems to be a trend with almost all the other courses in that "lsr january round 1" website with civil eng at unsw normally asking for 86 as lsr but being 90.7 in january round 1

Interdice

HSC
hmm that is odd, idk why UNSW is asking for a higher selection rank for later offers when naturally you would think that they would let people with lower selection ranks in. However, it seems to be a trend with almost all the other courses in that "lsr january round 1" website with civil eng at unsw normally asking for 86 as lsr but being 90.7 in january round 1
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I don't know what the LSR is meant to represent.

For bachelor of science at UNSW, lowest LSR was around 73-74. Lowest jan round 1 was 80. Unlike school of engineering which has FEAS, science at UNSW doesn't have any early entry program apart from gateway.

Yet somehow most the students have their atar and something else considered. I wonder if that affects the selection rank.

UAC should be more transparent. It's unfair to leave students with seemingly contradictory information for no reason

Big_Kev

HSC
Got into UNSW, im really happy about it but im still kinda bummed about not getting into USYD. Im still keeping it as first preference into january rounds whilst accepting the UNSW offer

What about you?
No way we're in the exact same situation! I also got UNSW ex sci/physio & ex phys but yeah, waiting for USYD phys if they release an offer.
Good luck you've got this! 😀

THElorax17

HSC
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I don't know what the LSR is meant to represent.

For bachelor of science at UNSW, lowest LSR was around 73-74. Lowest jan round 1 was 80. Unlike school of engineering which has FEAS, science at UNSW doesn't have any early entry program apart from gateway.

Yet somehow most the students have their atar and something else considered. I wonder if that affects the selection rank.

UAC should be more transparent. It's unfair to leave students with seemingly contradictory information for no reason
yeah i agree 100%
also idk if youve seen this article already
but its very interesting how some unis have lowered selection ranks for jan offers while others have it reversed, with a lower dec offer and higher jan offer

would love for some consistency

THElorax17

HSC
No way we're in the exact same situation! I also got UNSW ex sci/physio & ex phys but yeah, waiting for USYD phys if they release an offer.
Good luck you've got this! 😀
its actually crazy how many people are waiting for usyds physio offer, i think it will be unlikely though cause in the january round they are asking for a higher selection rank than the dec round

if you dont mind me asking, why do you also prefer usyd's course to unsw's

Big_Kev

HSC
its actually crazy how many people are waiting for usyds physio offer, i think it will be unlikely though cause in the january round they are asking for a higher selection rank than the dec round

if you dont mind me asking, why do you also prefer usyd's course to unsw's
yeah haha that's the sad part coz they increase selection rank
Honestly I'm slightly more inclined to USYD because obv it's a shorter degree (can do the Doctor of Physiotherapy course for 3 years but the standard 4 year one also allows you to become a registered & qualified physio), and also the fact that USYD just seems purely "physio based", as opposed to UNSW, which (and please tell me if I'm wrong here 😂) seems slightly more over the place with the 3 different aspects to the degree, so I'm not too sure how much emphasis will be put on the Ex Sci & Physiology parts, compared to the physio subjects. Like you also said earlier, it is a combined degree so placement starts a bit later into the course than it might at USYD, so that's also a bit of a letdown. All in all though, UNSW seems really good as well, but a few of these things do USYD more appealing. Just my two cents worths tho, we'll just have to wait and see with these degrees I guess

Interdice

HSC
yeah i agree 100%
also idk if youve seen this article already
but its very interesting how some unis have lowered selection ranks for jan offers while others have it reversed, with a lower dec offer and higher jan offer

would love for some consistency
It's actually really shady if you think about it. UNSW purposely gives offers above the selection rank, then when UAC no longer reports the results of rounds, offers courses to students with lower atars. All for prestige probably.

UAC should be forced to reveal information about every single round at the very least.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
why is the pay for physiotherapists the same as teachers but so hard to get into??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)