using other people's work.!!! (1 Viewer)

Tingaling

HSC
i thought you couldnt use other people's work.. in your own.. but obviously i think im wrong because, many artist themselve.. use other artists work and renew it..

and one of my friend uses other peoples work and he said as long as you've changed over 5% of it.. it would be your own work..??

is that right?? and how much is 5%??

can someone please tell me ASAP

penciltron

HSC
it depends how ur using them i guess
ive got da vinci studies in my drawing, but its more about like a tribute ish thing coz he kicks ass, not really passing it off as my own since its obvious theyre his...
it wud help if you told us which artist ur gonna use and how....

Tingaling

HSC
as in using photoshop?? do you have to take the photo yourself ?? or can you steal someone's image off the internet?? and change it ??

chamelia

HSC
Theres an obvious difference between using another artists work and appropriating it. Basicallly to be able to borrow an element, idea or image from someone elses work you have to have put it into a new context, that is, change the meaning somehow or they way it is looked at.

So if your borrowing from an artists work to create a totally new meanign that should be alright and there must be notable chang by yourself.

Last edited:

Tingaling

HSC
arh.. so if i borrowd a image from the internet.. and i use it in my work, i'll have to use it to interpret another meaning not its original meaning that gave the audience...hmm...

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
In my work I've used images of Jane and Trent from Daria. I've changed Jane's hair colour and changed the bedroom scene that Trent is in.

If you appropriate the images that's okay but if it's a straight copy and hasn't been changed to suit your work, then you could find yourself in trouble under the copyright laws.

Tingaling

HSC
arh...=0=" at the end of last year, i wanted to do that, it wasnt like copying someone elses work without changing anything, however, i got told off by my art teacher, i may be plagiarising other people's work..

*stupid teacher, made me take all those photos myself, it was really a hassle you know? geez..*.. oh well.. at least i know i definatly wont be accused for doing that..=____="

so what you mean by 5% is just changing it in anyway to suit the meaning you want to show.??

CLRNCE

HSC
omg!!!! i'm using da vinci's studies in my work too! i recreated his anatomical studies of the heart, bones and muscles in clay and used them as slabs for my pots!!! i love him!! i also have recreated some of his drawings by redrawing them aswell!! omg id love to see what you've done when we are all done!!
i think that our artworks are all based on someone elses work! that is what art is all about -appropriation and recontexualisation!! i was told that you can use whatever you want in your works becasue there is no copyright or anything!!

Insouciance

HSC
I highly recommend not touching anything on Deviantart unless you have written permission from the artist in question.

Gettyimages, pop culture images etc, are okay as long as you are adapting them into your art work; aka, not just printing off a dozen Orlando Bloom images and pasting them on canvas. (That's how it was explained to us; I don't believe anyone would be that lame.)

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it okay if I use their work (eg. a artistic photoshoot) as a reference photo for my drawings?

nwatts

HSC
Like... appropriated post-modern art? A friend of mine's body of work is based around an image by Salvador Dali - appropriating it to make comments on the artworld.

Btw - BOS markers will call your Visual Arts Diary if they seriously suspect plagiarism. If you have it noted in your diary that you've taken an image from here and put it there to such effect, they cannot do anything about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)