Using other notes vs making your own? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
Hey,

Currently I am spending most of my study time for business, economics and IPT making notes.

Would I be better off just using someone else's notes and then modifying them slightly?

Pretty broad question but would love any opinions. Heard for science's it's fine to have a base set of notes from someone else the elaborate it but not to sure about humanities and technology subjects cause you really need to understand stuff.

astroman

HSC
Hey!

This is what i'm gonna be doing:

IPT - make my own detailed notes using textbooks as well as other peoples notes.
physics - use other people's and do past papers.
math - use others chapter summaries and do past papers
business - make my own detailed notes using textbooks as well as other peoples notes.
engineering - make my own

dirty_ink

HSC
From my experience, I found it best if you used the notes of others for the sciences, modified them to suit your preferred layout and then supplemented them with your own notes. That way, you don't miss out on certain dotpoints since the notes you used from someone else cover them. So what you'll have is a comprehensive set of notes before you.

None of my subjects were humanities, but a lot of my friends took them, and they did often complain about having to write their own notes. Makes sense though, because humanities are all about developing a sound understanding of real world concepts and presenting them in a manner that reflect your own personal understanding, not that of others.

Never did technology. Sorry.

limplict

HSC
I always made my own notes for the humanities e.g modern history, I find that everyone has a different way of making notes e.g some of my friends prefer short, succinct summary notes while I like to include every little single detail because I tend to forget them after assessments.

Sure, you can edit the layout, etc in other people's notes, but they were always supplementary materials for me rather than the base of my notes 'cause everyone has a different writing style and IMO it's uncomfortable reading notes that don't sound like "you" (LOL I don't think this makes sense..). Might as well write your own if you're gonna change everything

theodore0307

HSC
Find around 3 really good notes and then take the best parts from them and incorporate into yours.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I personally like making my own notes, yet modelling them off other peoples notes.

Business - I made my own detailed syllabus notes that i uploaded not too long ago. Yet i used a 2012 state rankers notes as a quality standard and took some pretty helpful hints off them. Made the entire process a lot easier
IPT - With this subject i personally think notes are important... but make them customized to yourself, spamming textbook content under syllabus points certainly works for this but i don't think it is the best way. I personally made my own notes and took some extra things from a bunch of different sources and papers

Pretty much, make notes that you best understand. I could pull high 90's to 100% internally with my business notes, yet my notes where widely used throughout my cohort and i think the highest internal mark of someone who utilized them was 80-85%.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
use a variety of other notes and mold them into your own understanding

iStudent

HSC
I don't like using other people's notes. I used some guy's notes for physics once (for my first prac exam). In the end I lost 1 mark because those notes weren't complete and it was missing a LOT of key words. From then I always made my own notes using textbooks knowing that they are more reliable. Lesson: you can use other people's notes. But MAKE sure that they are 100% perfect or you'll end up learning inaccurate information and lose marks unnecessarily.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For science probably best to use multiple notes then combine/reword them to form one set of notes..

dinomyte

HSC
I only ever used notes for English and modern history. I would definitely recommend making your own notes for humanities subjects. It's one of the best ways to engage with the content. Writing out your own understanding of the syllabus will really hone your knowledge. Keep other people's notes for reference and use it to fill up the gaps on your own notes. :) I used 2-3 sets of really good notes from past students for modern and they filled in a lot of extra statistics and information that wasn't given in class.

IcyRain

HSC
I personally just like to look over other people's notes and past papers. Look over more than one to get multiple understandings of a topic. Since note making is time consuming, you could use someone's notes and edit them to make them more catered to you.

Disfigurate

HSC
There's really no problem of using other peoples' notes. Just don't rely on them entirely. I suggest that you make your own and use other peoples' notes to make sure that your information is top notch.

Rebeccaz

HSC
For IPT I would recommend writing detailed notes as you cover the coursework in class. Then closer to exams make summarised notes because there are many terms, definitions, advantages & disadvantages of many methods etc. that you could create tables for memorising the key things you would get asked in an exam, and perhaps researching any emerging technologies and knowing some general stuff about what's happening and how they work.

For economics I recommend looking at a variety of sources, other people's notes, textbooks etc. and incorporating the latest statistics into your own notes in a way that you can understand and remember as you have to pull from a broad knowledge base to write essays but understanding what you are writing is a whole different thing as well.

I didn't do business studies.

breitil

HSC
Yeah I use other people's notes and modify them to what I learn at school/through textbooks and reword them so I can understand. I just change the style to suit my studying preferences. It's easier that way when you have bigger, content based subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)