Using other Major Works (1 Viewer)

namdog

HSC
Hi,
I have just started EE2 and I was just wondering, to what extent (if any) can you use a past Major Work... For example, if a past Major Work inspires someone, or, in my case, a small section (2 paragraphs) of a past major work is relevant and helps my research, am I able to stick it in my journal? Or am I not allowed to?

Thanks

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Inspiration is limitless and all literature is borrowed to an extent so you are free to be inspired by any major work you read but be very careful not to regurgitate concepts. In theory it is the same as any piece of work, but it may seem lax if you don't take quite a different route in yours..so you can do it I think but make sure you keep it *very* clear in your journal how yours will differ from the previously read major work and what you intend to do. So don't just stick it in - reflect on their major and how it has impacted you very clearly and then it should be fine.

namdog

HSC
Thanks!

I have only taken two paragraphs from the Major Work, which I only intend to use in the development of a character, so I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but I will take your advice and clearly state what I will use from the excerpt...

J

jhakka

666_blessings said:
Alternatively, don't stick it in at all. =P
I agree with this. This work is about your writing, and I think it's important that you write it all yourself. If you want to quote someone, I'd suggest a well known, published author. :)

Lanalor

HSC
It would be best not to "borrow" any other texts directly beacuse after talking to my EE2 teacher recently she informed me that 4-5 hours of the actual marking process for major works is taken up in doing checks to ensure that the work isn't plagarised. Play it safe and only use the one source that no one can stake a claim for - your imagination :)

gorgo31

HSC
666_blessings said:
As one of the senior markers was telling me, "there's no such thing as an original idea". It's all in the delivery.
DIE POSTMODERNIST HEATHEN TEACHER / MARKER PERSON!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)