Using 'I' in essays! (1 Viewer)

Is it ok to use 'I' or first person in essays?

• No, never

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes, but depends on circumstances

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes, its perfectly allowed

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

intodisco

HSC
From what I have heard from my english teacher, using 'I' in an exam is now becoming acceptable in essay's.
My teacher went on to say it applies to Standard English essays, when they ask for an opinion from you.
E.g. Discuss how the language features in 'Briar Rose' convey character development throughout the novel.

Maybe a bad example, but is it true that it is now acceptable to use I in essays, or first person in any form?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It is ill advised, as most people use it ineffectively, which reduces the level of their academic response. In the question you have given, there is no need to use 'I' at all. Something like 'Explain how the study of two characters from Briar Rose have shaped your understand of the text' is more appropriate for 'I' to appear, but it is still not recommended.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It really depends on how you write. I know a lot of people who can write perfectly fine without it, and still give a personal response. Others find it very difficult. One way to look at it is, if you think your argument will suffer by not using it, then go ahead and use it. Otherwise, avoid it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)