Using different font? (1 Viewer)

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
i heard you can only use times new roman or arial, but i'm sure i've seen MWs that have other fonts in them. so maybe you can only use them if you're differentiating between different parts of your composition.

nwatts

HSC
I wouldn't recommend using a sans serif font (ie, Arial). There's a reason all books are published with serif fonts, and that is that they're a hell of a lot easier to read.

nwatts

HSC
Because they aren't as easy to read. Any english/history teacher will tell you that essays printed in a serif font (usually just Times New Roman) are much, much easier to read and then mark.

People have become accustomed to reading serif fonts. I don't own one book (and I have an obscenely large library) that features sans serif text. If you slap a story in front of someone in a font they aren't used to, it automatically throws them (before they've even read what you've written!).

I'm not saying don't do it. But if it was me, I'd definitely stick with something like Times New Roman. I've written fragmented pieces before, with some parts of my piece in italics rather than in a separate font. It looked neater and was easier to read.

I *bet* your Ext 2 teacher would tell you the same thing.

scott_hendo

Alternative Conservative
Peeing on an electric fence...mmm...tingly
HSC
OutOfOrder said:
Hey
Are we allowed to use whatever font we want?
because a large part of my MW uses different font
i used a couple of different fonts and im pretty sure i didn't get marked down. i say if it is completely neccessary go right ahead, if not, then there's no point really.

HSC
N/A
We were told by our teachers that we weren't supposed to alternate fonts, including italics etc, but a lot of people do.

I personally did the italics/regular/bold thing myself for effect, however, if you're relying a lot on different fonts - then I would be very careful... I don't think they like it a lot, but so far I haven't heard any stories about being marked down for it.

OutOfOrder

HSC
My ext 2 teacher loved it totally, and she seems to think its perfectly fine like that, but i'm not sure if it's actually allowed to be handed in like that?
i also made use of colour. Its only for a monolouge at the start of each piece and for a few lines of conversation.
the rest of the story is in Century Gothic, which is pretty easy to read.

I just finished my draft.. i dont want to have to change it all! :(

HSC
N/A
Whoa, colour?!

:S

Use of different fonts is pushing it slightly, but still acceptable, I would think. But colour? Whoa, methinks that is very risky... but provided the board allows for it...

J

jhakka

I see no problems with colour, unless the reader is visually impaired.

I think italic is more effective, though.

HSC
N/A
Technically I don't, but for chances of getting into Showcase... (which is printed in black and white only)

I'm also a fan of italics. :)

d_a_n_z

HSC
im using many fonts, many sizes [ very postmodern] its definatly allowed, i rang up teh BOS and spoke to the liason person

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
Of course you can manipulate the font.

Otherwise, 50%+ of the past year's postmodern works would have gotten zero. :rolleyes:

Eg. using larger, smaller font, to emphasise the movement of an object.

The only rule I've been passed is that, on the most part, your work is double spaced, and READABLE.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Speaking of postmodern works of '04, there are a few in the showcase that are terrible. I hate it when people abuse post-modernism and use it as an excuse for all sorts of crazy things.

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
666_blessings said:
Speaking of postmodern works of '04, there are a few in the showcase that are terrible. I hate it when people abuse post-modernism and use it as an excuse for all sorts of crazy things.
You're joking, right?

People that manage to get into the showcase, are seen by the markers to be of a notch higher than the submitted material, overall; and as a side note thats not necessarily based on the highest overall HSC mark.

There are apparently only two types of postmodern works. Ones that do extremely well, and ones that do extremely bad.

I too had made the same assumption as well on postmodern works, but those postmodern works that "abuse postmodernism" in such a way to allow them to do all sorts of "crazy things", tend to be those that are extremely bad, and recognised to be so by the markers, through reading the actual work AND the reflection statement AND, the optional read, the journal. Refer to any of the postmodern works, and if you encounter something you don't understand something in it; then refer to the reflection statement. Anything that does "crazy things" without a basis, is NOT postmodernism!

There's a difference from simply not understanding a work at all and thus not appreciating it (and thus saying its a bad work), and understanding it, and not appreciating it (but admitting, and understanding why it is a good work).

Saying that a few of the works in the showcase are terrible is just plain arrogance, and an insult to, not only the author, but the markers that labelled it to be tops.

OutOfOrder

HSC
While we're on the topic... what exactly is postmodernism can you tell me please?
Because i've always been confused about what it is.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Seung.Hur said:
You're joking, right?

People that manage to get into the showcase, are seen by the markers to be of a notch higher than the submitted material, overall; and as a side note thats not necessarily based on the highest overall HSC mark...

...Saying that a few of the works in the showcase are terrible is just plain arrogance, and an insult to, not only the author, but the markers that labelled it to be tops.
I know that the works in the showcase aren't all 50/50 works, they serve to represent a range of different styles/themes/etc. I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of postmodernism but that's not what I'm basing my comments on. As an example of what I'm talking about, one of the pieces has spaced out pages of words in various sizes arranged on the page in what i can only call an artistic fashion. I've forgotten the title but it was a short story. I don't think this sort of thing should be saved for poetry and shrot stories should be prose. Post-modern prose should be written in the style and themes of the pomo era and not rely on visual elements.

I'm more than happy to give full credit to the author for trying something new (if people didn't we'd still be stuck somewhere in the romantic era). No offense to the markers either because I'm sure there's some perfectly good reason why they decided to include all the pieces but I'm just failing to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)