Useless Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Angel45

HSC
Doesn't it frustrate you when a tutor/lecturer makes a textbook a set text and down the track you realise it has zero relevance and doesn't assist u at all in ur studies...there's no set readings 4 it or anything... that'll teach me to hold off 4 as long as possible... like I normally wait until the lecturer actually says what we need but in this case the lecturer even said we needed it! Luckily I didn't purchase all the other stuff apparently required for the same unit coz we ain't use that either! Hahaha..esp. when textbooks 4 other subjects are like $199 and I'm sure it's like that for everyone... just wondering if y'all have had similar experiences?

Demandred

HSC
I shouldn't of have bought that Butterworth's tutorial guide for criminal, should of got Bronitt and McSherry - *looks at Jonathan*. Looks like I'll borrow it indefinitly from Macq U.

klh

HSC
it depends...some advice, look at you runit outline next time. if it only uses a couple of chapters , available in th elibrary reserve, photocopy. having a book adds weight to your bag and photocopy costs less albeit mroe time. hope this helps out. last year a friend just copied the text anf he spent like 40 bucks and th ebook was 60, and the guy asked someoen else to print it for him and he just paid so he didnt even spend time...another point to consdier is the pages too.
im gonna try and complain to the library about double sided printing, we want to save trees and hip pockets too.

on another note, i just notice Demandred you are a benny! Congratualations! when was this? and what forums?

debugz

HSC
yer, i moved to photocopying books. Works out at about 10$ per book :D although my tutors didnt seem impressed when i turned up with a photocopied booklet of the textbook.. :D

klh

HSC
thats why i adore my old finite maths teacher, Fred Osman....he published a stats textbook but also made a reader [the same content and everything] just for UWSers.
While others dont care [seemingly] but say that there are quotas on photocopying copyrighted content so indirectly showing their displeasure...grrr

Angel45

HSC
klh said:
thats why i adore my old finite maths teacher, Fred Osman....he published a stats textbook but also made a reader [the same content and everything] just for UWSers.
While others dont care [seemingly] but say that there are quotas on photocopying copyrighted content so indirectly showing their displeasure...grrr
This semester our teacher wrote ours too but it wasn't ready at the beginning of semester... so he made the first 15 chapters into a reader which we bought and when it became available we hadda buy the whole book, for a non-discounted price, just for the remaining 6 or something chapters...silly silly.

hehehe

klh

HSC
some texts arent worth buying...some have crappy layout [managing people at work] while others will never be used again [entrepreneurial management and innovation]. and the thign is i cant sell them, no one wants to buy them...grrr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)