Use of the word 'gay'... (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah ok, I pretty much agree with this, fag. ;)
My friends call me a fag all the time - it doesn't bother me? I think if you're actually offended by people saying these things non-seriously (ie they're not honestly calling you that because they actually believe it), you need to reassess your priorities. *shrug*

HSC
I'm not so certain that in the wider community, the seperation between the two contextual meanings is as absolute as you insist. I think an association between the two meanings still exists for many people. For them, the divide between 'gay' as a general reference to anything bad, and it's homophobic origins is not entrenched, an association still exists.
Exactly.

HSC
My friends call me a fag all the time - it doesn't bother me? I think if you're actually offended by people saying these things non-seriously (ie they're not honestly calling you that because they actually believe it), you need to reassess your priorities. *shrug*
It doesn't offend me when friends to do it - and, as I said, I call them up on it primarily as a joke when I want to occupy the poor-me-innocent-victim-of-evil-homophobic-society position. Just as my friends are jokingly adopting the evil-homophobic-oppressor position when they call me fag.

Last edited:

Bainesy

HSC
It doesn't offend me when friends to do it - and, as I said, I call them up on it primarily as a joke when I want to occupy the poor-me-innocent-victim-of-evil-homophobic-society position. Just as my friends are jokingly adopting the evil-homophobic-oppressor position when they call me fag.
just a side note:

when one of my friends calls me a 'fag' or 'gay' I tell them 'I dont think we should be friends anymore...fuckwit'

anyone that calls you a fag is not your friend. these are people that dislike you. (unless you are a homosexual, whereby the use of these terms means your friends support your orientation enough to openly and frequently use it as a nickname)

I think both of you need to realise this before you go about making any comments about the use of the word gay, cause if you hang around with people that actually like you for who you are, you will find that you are not called a fag

op topic now: if someone calls you 'gay' or a 'fag' i am fairly sure that the childrens classic comeback 'takes one to know one' applies here.

HSC
Well, as Pwar says, it depends on the context. When I go to my gay running club, for instance, I get called fag all the time, but there is no way that that could be regarded as abusive.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Well, as Pwar says, it depends on the context. When I go to my gay running club, for instance, I get called fag all the time, but there is no way that that could be regarded as abusive.
Except in the case where some gays consider 'fags' to be the more campy gays who they feel give other gays a bad name ^_^

HSC
Except in the case where some gays consider 'fags' to be the more campy gays who they feel give other gays a bad name ^_^
Well, yes.

This is what my honours research project is about, in fact.

Did you actually read that journal article that I posted the other day?!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
lol nah man, i rarely read anything beyond 50 words.

P.s. that's a pretty gay honours project.

Napstar

Banned
HSC
just a side note:

when one of my friends calls me a 'fag' or 'gay' I tell them 'I dont think we should be friends anymore...fuckwit'

anyone that calls you a fag is not your friend. these are people that dislike you. (unless you are a homosexual, whereby the use of these terms means your friends support your orientation enough to openly and frequently use it as a nickname)

I think both of you need to realise this before you go about making any comments about the use of the word gay, cause if you hang around with people that actually like you for who you are, you will find that you are not called a fag

op topic now: if someone calls you 'gay' or a 'fag' i am fairly sure that the childrens classic comeback 'takes one to know one' applies here.
I would facepalm but my head already hurts.

HSC
lol nah man, i rarely read anything beyond 50 words.

P.s. that's a pretty gay honours project.
:(

What's your honours project?
Gay male experiences of, or relationships, to masculinity.

This article is a good read if you're interested:
Taywaditep, Kittiwut, ‘Marginalisation Amongst the Marginalised: Gay Men’s Anti-Effeminacy Attitudes’, Journal of Homosexuality 42, no. 1 (2001), pp. 1- 28.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Argh, extreme political correctness. Do you want to take Golden Gaytime off the shelves too?

HSC
Anti-Gay Bullying Claims Another Young Life / Queerty

Another tormented grade schooler, another little kid who thinks there's only one way out. "An 11-year-old Massachusetts boy, Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover, hung himself Monday after enduring bullying at school, including daily taunts of being gay, despite his mother’s weekly pleas to the school to address the problem. This is at least the fourth suicide of a middle-school aged child linked to bullying this year. Carl, a junior at New Leadership Charter School in Springfield who did not identify as gay, would have turned 12 on April 17, the same day hundreds of thousands of students will participate in the 13th annual National Day of Silence by taking some form of a vow of silence to bring attention to anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) bullying and harassment at school. The other three known cases of suicide among middle-school students took place in Chatham, Evanston and Chicago, Ill., in the month of February."
We're Supposed to Believe Jaheem Herrera's Classmates Called Him 'Happy' / Queerty

In Pakistan, it's apparently possible to interchange the words "happy" and gay" — at least to one open lesbian, who is both. But shockingly, the retired Superior Court judge hired by Jaheem Herrera's school to review whether anti-gay bullying led to his suicide decided that students who were calling him "gay" only meant to declare the 11-year-old boy was "happy." It's a farce.

Judge Thelma Wyatt Cummings Moore (pictured, below), who was hired by the DeKalb School System (currently being sued by Jaheem's mother Masika Bermudez), found nothing wrong with kids throwing the word at Jaheem.

The Southern Voice quotes Moore last week at a press conference: "The children use ‘gay’ for anything and everything. The clothing is gay, the gesture is gay, what they say is gay, and that is a term they use. Now with these students we asked them, ‘Well, what does gay mean?’ They said ‘gay means happy,’ and this is many of the students."

Well that certainly excuses things! No wonder Moore — a friend to environmentalists, apparently — allowed herself last month to conclude it was the recent family deaths Jaheem was dealing with that led him to hang himself with a belt, and not the torment he was subjected to at school.

Too bad even David Schutten, president of the Organization of DeKalb Educators, understands kids use the word "gay" almost exclusively as a pejorative: "With kids that age, they know it’s a derogatory comment. Some know what it means, some don’t, but they think it’s an insult."

Moore's finding effectively leaves the Georgia school district off the hook for wrong-doing, at least internally (Bermudez's lawsuit remains). The conclusion also shows the stunning failure of the school to police itself and begin a satisfactory attempt at preventing another incident like this from happening.

Even if Jaheem's classmates didn't know the sexual semantics of what it is to be "gay," they understood full well how to use the word in a negative context. It's also unclear whether students' name-calling branched out into more obvious derogatory terms, like "fag" and "homo," but we've prepared ourselves to fear the worst.

Last edited:

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I don't think it's too good, if third parties can be in considered liable in the event of a suicide, regardless of how bad their abuse was. And calling someone names, really...

The school can't be expected to protect people from self-harm at all times.

HSC
I don't think it's too good, if third parties can be in considered liable in the event of a suicide, regardless of how bad their abuse was. And calling someone names, really...

The school can't be expected to protect people from self-harm at all times.
The third party thing may be fair enough...when dealing with a different issue. EXCEPT...as schools they have the duty of care with these kids for six hours a day! Thus, they have the responsibility to create an environment where people are accepted and valued. To say that it's just 'calling someone names' suggests that the point of view of someone who has never been truly bullied or, at the very least, lacks empathy for those who have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)