use of '&' in the hsc.. (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Both my english teachers (advanced & extension) who always told us to reffer to our texts using abbreviations after the first reference went to some seiminar in the last 2 weeks of school, they came back and explicitly told us to not under any circumstances if we can help it use any form of abreviations.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
i write +, its not a matter of ease, its a matter of habit - i often write my own notes in shorthand so im more used to + than "and". as mentioned before, when you have to write out the word when ususally you dont, it disrupts your train of thought constantly

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
i read an exemplar answer for extension history (not english i know but why would they change- as said before the habit is too well ingrained) and it was full of +'s. but it got annoying 8 pages in

abbreviations a no-no esp for related texts- Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy is my journeys related text. so tempting to write HHG2G but i write "hitchhikers..." or "the Guide"

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I use it in all subjects except English. However, there are exceptions in English. Take for example, the sentence.

"On the picnic, I had to bring a rug, food & drink, and a hat."

In this context, the ampersand is use to differentiate between separate items, and joined items. However, this type of use won't come up often, and if in doubt, ignore it completely. Just use "and".

u-borat

Banned
HSC
& instead of and saves minutes over the course of an exam. and it just feels better and smoother.

2S1D3

HSC
Yeah write 'and' I got marked down for that lulz

Genshin

HSC
I think its only "frowned upon" in English - but I doubt they would take marks off if you forget and write it a few times...

your allowed to use it in eco, business and all that jazz

Pillows

Banned
HSC
I did it today for my business exam about 500 times. I'm screwed if it's not allowed.

o0-Prodigy-0o

HSC
When your in the exam room you hardly think about whether to write AND or & and usually you go with your gut instinct to save time and write &.. true it's not hard to wirte & but your not gunna sit there and think about it... i worte using & i don't see the big deal though

Genshin

HSC
Pillows said:
I did it today for my business exam about 500 times. I'm screwed if it's not allowed.
Same same.

Our Eco teacher told our class that its totally fine in eco/bus and if we want to save more time to write like up arrows for increasing and down arrows for decreasing and that so i like & has got to be sweet.

HSC
The hsc markers comments have made a big point about not using abbreviations though because it breaks the flow of the essay (for english anyway).

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
independantz said:
Yeah because it's so difficult to write ''and"...
Old habits die hard and you tend it write it without even thinking.

I do a back to front 3 with a line down the middle.

I'd never do it in English, and in Business today I wrote 'and' all the time instead... I just had to keep thinking about it.

hotbabe4u

HSC
N/A
The AND and & are one AND the same, like male and female, like blue and red.

And the globes which are rectangular are also AND the same.

When is it not the same? When eyes closed AND open, much like passa chool@

Desok

Fasten Your Seatbelts...
HSC
use + all the time in the trials and used it in business today lol we'll see how to goes :lol:

rapunzel

HSC
Don't use & or + !!!! My aunty's an HSC English teacher and they absolutely HATE IT! You technically won't get marked down for it, but if there is anything else that makes the response not perfect, you're just begging for the marks to be taken away. Don't use acronyms either, they really don't like it and will be annoyed, and the last thing we want to do is annoy the markers, right? :)

LOOMESY

HSC
there is a lot of difference between & and +

i see & and straight away i think 'and'
i see + and my mind thinks 'plus'

that's just me though

anyone else agree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)