use of electrolysis to remove salt (1 Viewer)

bobbie212

when removing salt from artefacts by electrolysis, does the artefact have to be metal
?

oh yea, and during the electrolysis of a metal artefact, how are the concretions removed?

tennille

HSC
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has to be otherwise the artefact will be damaged. If it is made of wood, I think you use a PEG polymer to preserve it. There is athing called electrophoresis where the artefact is placed between a positive and negative electrode which attract any particles out of the artefact to the electrode surfaces. That is used for organic materials and therefore wood.

tennille

HSC
Concretions are removed by placing them in dilute acid, especially CaCO3 deposits.

CaCO3 (s) + 2H+ (aq) ---> Ca2+ (aq) + H2O (l) + CO2 (g)

tennille

HSC
I forgot to mention that 1mol/ L of HCL is used, but sometimes an acetic acid- sodium acetate buffer is preferred (pH 3 to 5) in order to stop the CO2 gas produced becoming too vigorous.

You can also remove crusty deposits mechanically with a hammer.

Last edited:

chemicalace

my chem teacher sucked, she was away for 10+ lessons when we were supposed to be doing shipwrecks so im screwed for the topic *winge* :vcross:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
Concretions are removed by placing them in dilute acid, especially CaCO3 deposits.

CaCO3 (s) + 2H+ (aq) ---> Ca2+ (aq) + H2O (l) + CO2 (g)
They are mainly removed by physical means before using a dilute acid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)