US military launches attack on SYRIA (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
US helicopter-borne troops have carried out a raid inside Syria along the Iraqi border, killing eight people including four children, Syrian officials say.

The official Syrian news agency Sana said the raid took place in the Abu Kamal border area, in eastern Syria.

It said that American soldiers on four helicopters had stormed a building under construction on Sunday night.

If confirmed, the raid would be the first known attack by US forces inside Syrian territory, says the BBC's Natalia Antelava.
Link

This is totally insane. The US military has just launched an aggressive attack against Syria. I believe this is another example of the US continually enforcing the fact that it is in contempt with international conventions, and even it's own constitution (correct me if I'm wrong but according to the once great U.S constitution only the senate can approve an attack on another sovereign country).

What's worse is that Syria is a nation which has long sought out diplomatic ties with various developed nations, it's far from an isolated, and broken country in terms of it's foreign relations.

I think the question that lingers is what will be the international response to this crime? It's quite likely that the United States of America will have to be sanctioned in one form or another -- if that's even possible. Quite frankly I have no idea to what extent this issue will explode, but one thing is for certain, this is another disasterous blunder by America in the current international political climate.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
This happens fairly often in Pakistan and Somalia, I thought. Not surprising but still disgusting. And Americans honestly wonder why terrorists wish to attack their country? The answer is pretty clear.

EDIT: I hope Syria, as a nation, launches a retaliation against a US base in the Middle East or something, hey.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
This happens fairly often in Pakistan and Somalia, I thought. Not surprising but still disgusting. And Americans honestly wonder why terrorists wish to attack their country? The answer is pretty clear.
Eight people died, including 4 children.

Syria is extremely well equipped diplomatically to point out that this is a horrendous, unprovoked act of aggression against Syria and an act of war against the Syrian people. This is very serious issue, trust me. Atleast it has the potential to be.

EDIT: I hope Syria, as a nation, launches a retaliation against a US base in the Middle East or something, hey.
Syria is well within it's rights to retaliate according to International Law.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Why don't you calm down and wait for an independent corroboration of Syria's report.

mattchis

HSC
Heh doesnt this sound familiar to us modern history students learning about the indo chinese war? (cambodia much?)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Wait for independant comfirmation next time kthx. If they're partisans using the Syrian border for refuge it serves them right.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Riet said:
Wait for independant comfirmation next time kthx.
The attack has been confirmed by US officials, thus far the dismal reasoning has been "we're taking matter into our own hands".

If they're partisans using the Syrian border for refuge it serves them right.
Actually individual reports which are confirmed to atleast be valid, suggest it's farm land, and it's 5 kilometres across the border. In the attack eight people have died, including four children. The attacks were belligerent in nature, including helicopter gun fire.

Four helicopters came totally unexpected and began firing at the civilian building, whilst workers were inside. The building which was under construction took heavy fire, before helicopters descended, and belligerents exited the helicopter to continue firing at the building. There was no fire returned at the US forces which attacked these civilians.

But all that aside Riet, considering we believe the US has a right to illegally enter Syrian airspace, and fire on civilian infrastructure, wouldn't they atleast know what their target was? In the case that they knew what their target was, why haven't they just come out and explained what that was?

The international community is not going to stand for this. At this point perhaps you'd think that they're waiting on an official response, but it's obvious with their diminished credibility it will not suffice. Some have argued this was the "October suprise", the GOP was desperately hoping for. This is clearly a case of the US biting off more than it can chew. I don't know what they truly hope to achieve, but nothing good will come of this.

Just for the record the Sana footage is being played on all of the major news stations, with the responses made by Syrian officials. Syria has already summoned American and Iraqi diplomats to explore the nature of these unprovoked acts of hostility.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Updates:
Over 3,000 articles on this issue now - which I believe is still one day in without an official public response from the U.S

*Russia condemns U.S. raid on Syria
*Joint Lebanese condemnation of U.S. raid on Syria
*Iran condemns U.S raid on Syria
*Australia awaits details of US raid on Syria before taking stance
*France 'worried' about Syria raid
*Britain's has declined to comment on U.S. raid on Syria (Join press conference scheduled had to be canceled)
*Arab League Chief condemns raid in Syria

Kittikhun

HSC
Syria actually is the country where most of the foreign fighters come into Iraq. Am I against the US raid? Yes. The problem though is that the public needs more information to clarify what REALLY HAPPENED and the events leading up to the raid.

HSC
we all know. team america went in. killed some terrorists and probable future terrorists, made syria angry. its win win

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I support a pre-emptive Iranian attack on US bases as a precaution to preserve safety amongst Arab nations.

I truly do.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
katie tully said:
Those children were going to become terrorists anyway.

We're being proactive.
Source?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)