Urgent! (1 Viewer)

angelicdevil

right about here, griffith, nsw.. but not for long
HSC
does any one have anything on the wilfred owen poems.. futility,the send off, dulce et decorum est, anthem for doomed youth, the last laugh and the next war
i kno what i have to write about techniques etc.. i just dont think i will b able to remember which lines belong to which poem..
some one help! anything will b appreciated! :)

danno

if you're still there i have a few things:

the send off: grim sad poem, which reinforces owens ideas of men and young boys being sent to unknown fronts just for cannon fodder. oxymoron in line 3 "faces grimly gay" gives us a visual image of the soldiers trying to be happy but inside knowing that they are going to their death.

"breasts were stuck all white with wreath and spray" talking about flowers that were given to them by loved ones, but next line reinforces the idea of death.

personification of signals and lamp give a humurous nature to an otherwise grim poem.

5th stanza shows us that these men were shipped off secretly, as if the officials didnt want anyone to know what was hapening. theres no ceremony, or bells or anything to send them off, just all hush hush.

last 2 stanzas reinforcing the idea that most will die, and evin if they win, too few will return. there will be no celebrating, no drums and yells, too much mourning for the majority that died.

dulce basically a poem that refutes the idea that it is sweet and honourable to die for ones country in war (which is what the latin "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" means)

it does this by depicting a horrible death. first two lines through use of similes and hyperbole set up the situation. then fast action in the third stanza. use of short words and sentences, as well as exclamation marks to give a picture of action, and then second half of the stanza as well as the next, he uses similes to describe the man dying.

the last stanza uses visual imagery (his haning face like a devils sick of sin, white eyes writhing) and sound imagery (the blood come gargling from froth corrupted lungs) to give us a horrible image of the man dying, then in the last few lines, says that you wouldnt tell some kids ardent for glory in war that it is sweet and honourable to die in war if you really knew what it was like.

anthem for doomed youth is a poem that laments the fact that there are young men dying like cattle, and there are no funerals, or no rememberance at all. their bodies are just left mangled on the battlefield.

use of simile in the first line to describe the way these men are being slaughtered, like cattle. then use of personification of hte guns and shells to give an image of the fear of being on the battlefield. cacophony and alliteration in the line "only the stuttering rifles rapid rattle" to further the image of fear, and give a sound image.

then in the last line it switches to a softer tone, starting the mourning stanza, which uses metaphors (candles in eyes, pallor of girls brows, drawing down of blinds) to give a sad tone, and make the reader think.

i think this probably helped me more than it will help anyone else, writing this out. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)