URGENT :/ What technique is this? (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
"The blackbirds sung their nursery rhyme songs to their children"

What technique is this?
It's likening the bird sounds of the blackbirds with 'human' music (for lack of a better description)

Metaphor? Simile? Parallelism? Something else?

planino

HSC
Also, how would you use "vernacular" in a sentence?

Is it correct to say that "the juxtaposition of his sophisticated vernacular with his friend's vulgar vernacular is reflective of e.g. the mismatch between the two"? I really need a better way to frame this into a sentence lol

planino

HSC
What is diction? LOLOL

And I don't think it's onomatopoeia, cos that's what words reflective of their sounds are e.g. "whoosh"

planino

HSC
Okay, another question:

Would "flashbacks" be a technique?

planino

HSC
(whoops, pressed post too quickly. I should relax.)

Or should I use "yearning, nostalgic tone" instead?

valentine78

HSC
N/A
Incorporate anthropomorphism as well as sensory imagery - sound imagery

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Also, how would you use "vernacular" in a sentence?

Is it correct to say that "the juxtaposition of his sophisticated vernacular with his friend's vulgar vernacular is reflective of e.g. the mismatch between the two"? I really need a better way to frame this into a sentence lol
Vernacular does not simply mean spoken language; it is the language common to a specific group, rather than the wider lingua franca. Expanding from this, it can also refer to instances where the spoken language differs from the literary language.

E.g. you can speak of specific legal vernacular, as opposed to the wider English language used by the population of Australia

That said, many people take it as simply meaning the 'low brow' common language of the people (which may change according to locality, ethnicity etc.) as opposed to the 'standard' or 'official' language of communication.

Compare a conversation between two people who might be considered 'ocker' in the NT with the language the PM uses to address the nation.

planino

HSC
Vernacular does not simply mean spoken language; it is the language common to a specific group, rather than the wider lingua franca. Expanding from this, it can also refer to instances where the spoken language differs from the literary language.

E.g. you can speak of specific legal vernacular, as opposed to the wider English language used by the population of Australia

That said, many people take it as simply meaning the 'low brow' common language of the people (which may change according to locality, ethnicity etc.) as opposed to the 'standard' or 'official' language of communication.

Compare a conversation between two people who might be considered 'ocker' in the NT with the language the PM uses to address the nation.
That was insightful, thanks!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
No it's not a comparison that the composer wants to convey

Metaphors provide the audience with new understanding of an idea by rendering that idea in terms of another. IMO that is exactly what is going on here, put simply the metaphor is that birds are people. It is an anthropomorphic metaphor, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)