(URGENT) NORMALISED EARNINGS (2 Viewers)

aqwerty13402

HSC
Can someone please explain to me how normalised earnings is a limitation? I get WHAT it is (i.e. The earnings adjusted to take into account cyclical upswings or downswings in the economy, or to remove one-time influences) but I dont get what the actual limitation is. Is it:

A. That once they normalise the earnings, its no longer accurate so it's misleading
or
B. The limitation is that some businesses DONT normalise earnings
Sorry, the two business studies teachers are literally saying two different things and my exam is tomorrow at 8am. I am stressed.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Normalised earnings
- Process of removing one-time influences from the balance sheet such as special circumstances or economic upswing/downswing
  • Removal of a land sale (outlier as you are not selling land everyday), which would achieve a large capital gain + distort the business’s true earnings
- * A company normalises its earnings to avoid including unusual events that create a false impression*
- Purpose - To provide a more realistic assessment of the earning performance of a business

- Businesses often report normalised earnings – where they remove the impact of inflation and one-off or unusual influences from the balance sheet to show the earnings of the company without the unusual event
  • This can be misleading because it is important for the person examining the financial statements to see what really happened – the ‘real bottom line’ for the year especially if it involved writing down assets, costs of restructuring, impact of asset sales.
  • By normalising earnings you distort the real accounting figures
- Sometimes these one-off figures are explicitly taken out of financial reports
  • E.g, the impact of a cyclone in far north QLD on banana growers as it makes their financial statements look healthier. Additionally, the cost of the clean up after the cyclone is not included; in reality these costs should be included (COVID is another example)
- Avoiding a false impression of less profitability than it should have

^this was in my notes but idk if u'll understand better

aqwerty13402

HSC
Normalised earnings
- Process of removing one-time influences from the balance sheet such as special circumstances or economic upswing/downswing
  • Removal of a land sale (outlier as you are not selling land everyday), which would achieve a large capital gain + distort the business’s true earnings
- * A company normalises its earnings to avoid including unusual events that create a false impression*
- Purpose - To provide a more realistic assessment of the earning performance of a business

- Businesses often report normalised earnings – where they remove the impact of inflation and one-off or unusual influences from the balance sheet to show the earnings of the company without the unusual event
  • This can be misleading because it is important for the person examining the financial statements to see what really happened – the ‘real bottom line’ for the year especially if it involved writing down assets, costs of restructuring, impact of asset sales.
  • By normalising earnings you distort the real accounting figures
- Sometimes these one-off figures are explicitly taken out of financial reports
  • E.g, the impact of a cyclone in far north QLD on banana growers as it makes their financial statements look healthier. Additionally, the cost of the clean up after the cyclone is not included; in reality these costs should be included (COVID is another example)
- Avoiding a false impression of less profitability than it should have

^this was in my notes but idk if u'll understand better
Okay so your notes indicate that the lilmitation is the distortion of accuracy. That's what I had in my head. Thank you. I'll keep checking with the teachers but if i get asked this im just gonna write it along these lines. Thank you :cry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)