urgent law+society questions (1 Viewer)

swisstruffles

HSC
is provocaton only used for a charge of defence (to be reduced to manslaughter) or can it be for anything?
also, this 2001 CSSA Trial asks for problems in dealing with the legal system- but i can't find this part anywhere in the syllabus. Are they just asking for general things?

Thanks

FLR-IT

Originally posted by swisstruffles
is provocaton only used for a charge of defence (to be reduced to manslaughter) or can it be for anything?
thats wat it puts in the syllabus and also in 2 text books i've been through

so i guess yes

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
nope provocation is a partial defence that can be used for any crime (whether or not it will be accepted is another story)

krissy7685

sorry i hafta argue otherwise.

provocation is only available to the charge of murder... to reduce it to manslaughter.... it is a partial defence...
it is NOT complete defence.. and it cannot be used for anything other than murder

this is stated in both excel and heinmann

Golani

krissy gets all the points

only for murder and reduces to voluntary manslaughter

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
it might say that in the textbook but you can plead provocation for any violent crime, it won't let you off though, but it will be taken into account as a mitigating factor.

Golani

it won't have any affect on the offence/sentence though, that's all that matters...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
actually it will in reality have an affect on sentencing, its a mitigating factor, something which is taken into account by the judge when sentencing. The charge will not be changed/downgraded, but the judge may consider provocation and give a lesser sentence

Golani

come to think of it it may play a role as part of the circumstances of the offence...hmm i dunno may be :S

connie

HSC
N/A
haha ms 12 is 100% right, it is a defence to any crime requiring mens rea to be proved, so it can't be like used as a defence to a traffic offence,

people you have to remember not to rely soley on your textbook they were only written by legal teachers after all......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)