URGENT: History ext without a history?? (1 Viewer)

mel4dan

Hey guys i was hoping you could help me with an urgent matter.

At the moment i am doing modern history in year 11 and i want to pick up ext history. however i dont actually want to do modern next year as i am also picking up ext 2 maths which would be 15 units. so do any of yous know for SURE if you can do ext history without doing an HSC course of history. you may well ask why i havent asked my teachers this, but i have and they actually arent sure... :rolleyes:

nwatts

HSC
No, but I'd advise against doing Ext History. Do English Extension 2 instead, for a variety of reasons.

a) You can do a history-based essay for your EE2 major work, b) the word limit on your major work (ext history) will make you want to punch things, c) 9 times out of 10 english teachers have a solid understanding of modern history and d) you're essentially getting better marks (than you would in history) for doing less work.

mel4dan

i really dont enjoy english as much though. what do you think i should do?? drop the modern history, forget about ext history and just do 4u maths instead to make 12 units??

nwatts

HSC
HarryKozy said:
i really dont enjoy english as much though. what do you think i should do?? drop the modern history, forget about ext history and just do 4u maths instead to make 12 units??
Did you read anything that I'd written? You can essentially do the same thing between each subject. (Bar all the ext history theory.) You don't need to like english.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
You cannot do History Extension without completing either 2 Unit Modern or Ancient History.

Ref: Page 26.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/historyext_syl.pdf

Board of Studies said:
Course Requirements
The HSC course in HSC History Extension comprises 60 indicative hours.
A Preliminary course in Modern or Ancient History is a prerequisite for the HSC
History Extension course.
An HSC course in Modern or Ancient History is a co-requisite for the HSC History
Extension course.
If you don't like Modern, you won't like Extension. Don't do it. If you like Maths, do Extension, you'll do well, and you'll get a good UAI.

Rule of the game from someone who has been there, done that:

Play your strengths and thou shalt do well.

mel4dan

ujuphleg said:
You cannot do History Extension without completing either 2 Unit Modern or Ancient History.

If you don't like Modern, you won't like Extension. Don't do it. If you like Maths, do Extension, you'll do well, and you'll get a good UAI.

thanks heaps.

jdrockefeller

HSC
ujuphleg said:

Modern History and History Extension are two seperate courses, which are not similar in content, so he MAY like History Extension. I'll admit this is doubtful if he is gonna drop Modern, but still, I love History Extension whereas Modern is a bit of a drag (except for Germany 1933-1945 - awesome)

Oh, and don't do courses simply for the UAI increase. It'll come back to flame you badly, which are what a lot of people in my History Extension course are learning.

tepanyaki

HSC
HarryKozy said:
Hey guys i was hoping you could help me with an urgent matter.

At the moment i am doing modern history in year 11 and i want to pick up ext history. however i dont actually want to do modern next year as i am also picking up ext 2 maths which would be 15 units. so do any of yous know for SURE if you can do ext history without doing an HSC course of history. you may well ask why i havent asked my teachers this, but i have and they actually arent sure... :rolleyes:
i know it's a late reply, but to any of those listening/reading, DO NOT do extension history if you say 'yous' You is both a singular and pluralised word, please dont disregard our language in such a manner. Also, don't persuade people to do extension two english that write yous, it's a difficult, competitive course with very capable canditure. You wont make it.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
its an internet forusmsdfpios. don't go nit-pikkkkkinh

anyway being serious here :) i would beg to differ with nwatts point.

see for a history extension MW you could quite possibly finish it in less than a week, from beginning to end and its worth 40% of your hsc final mark (80% internal)

now EE2 you could NOT do in the final week before its due because you are assessed on the PROCESS of your MW throughout. that was not the case for history extension except for one measly proposal. for EE2 you have to go through two viva voces (where seriously, it can be very hard to ascertain your mark because it all comes down to what happens on the day) and a report.

so basically if you bludge a lot but capable of achieving much when its crunchtime (ay woe is me ;) then history extension would be more to your liking. however if you space your time out well and enjoy the interaction that the EE2 project has .. well pick this one.

in my view they're equal. except ok EE2 by a bit because its easier to score an e4 haha :eek:

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Yep, my major project is due in 12 days and I have not started it (other than research and proposal), however, I know that I will easily have it finished by then. So, essentially Ext. History is not that much work. At least it hasn't been for me :p All I have had to do is read and research a bit.

X

xeuyrawp

timobr0 said:
Yep, my major project is due in 12 days and I have not started it (other than research and proposal), however, I know that I will easily have it finished by then. So, essentially Ext. History is not that much work. At least it hasn't been for me :p All I have had to do is read and research a bit.
Is this when comparing it to all the other history extension major projects that you've done? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)