Urgent help.. what are my rights in this situation? (1 Viewer)

Guernica

HSC
OK so, this morning I had a Chemistry prac test worth 30%. It was on titration. I'm red-green colour blind, but I've never had problems with titration before as the colour changes in class have always been fairly obvious.

When we got into the class, the teacher was like "to let you know, the colour change is very subtle for this one".. i was sort of like "oh, great".

Then I was trying really hard.. holding two flasks (one I was titrating with, the other to compare) looking to see if they were different. I tried for ages, and couldn't decide whether they were different yet or not. So I said to my teacher "Sir, I can't see the colour change.. I'm colour blind.. are these different?" and he was just like "I can't help you with that, sorry".

So I decided that they did look slightly different so put my figure as 14mL. Turns out it was around the 40mL mark.

The school does not have a certificate saying I am colour blind, but I have always let my teachers know.

What are my rights in this situation?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ethically I do not believe your teacher should not have done that, but it is your responsibility to give the school information on any issues you may have relating to your education so thatt they may accomodate your needs. Perhaps if you used a certificate and presented it to the school/faculty with the complaint you were unable to perform that component due to your coour blindness then they may allow a make up test or something similar.

biggie walls

HSC
Yeh give them medical certificates, written complaints... etc. etc. and hopefully they will allow u to redo the prac with a stronger colour change...?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
What kind of titration was it? (strong acid + base OR strong acid + weak base OR weak acid + strong base OR something else?) Because two out of the three I just mentioned can be done using bromethymol blue indicator to see the colour change.

Last edited:

Guernica

HSC
It was a stong acid-weak base... and out of the three provided the most suitable was methyl orange. Methyl orange, phenolphelein and.. i forget the other.. thymol blue maybe.

I'm going to ask some teachers about it tomorrow and get a medical certificate asap i think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)