URGENT help needed with I+S Creative Composition (1 Viewer)

tessery

HSC
hey everyone, i have my english ext half yearly on tuesday where we need to write a creative piece on the indvidual and society. I don;t know what the question is exactly, so it is a bit risky to pre-prepare a response, but the question is likely to be quite general from our school and i am a hopeless creatvie writer, so I am going to do it anyway lol.

so i have done a practice one, a lettet written by a man to his sister.he is of the gentry class, who goes up north to meet a woman who he hopes to make his wife, as she is slightly higher than him and rich, and he would like to imporve his social position. however, when he meets her he finds her too dull and boring, to rigid and conventional for his liking. she then insults the theories of charles darwin (of which he is a firm believer), so he leaves the house with a great dislike of her character and firmly set that he will not marry her.

then while writing this to his sister, he receives a letter from home. he pauses to read it and discovers that Overend Gurney and Company (a bank that went broke in 1886) has gone bust and their family has lost all their money. he immediately decides to marry the woman, comprimising his own happiness for the sake of his class and his family

do you guys think this is an ok conflict between the individual and society. i just don;t know if the tension/conlfict is really strong enough. any help tonight would be awesome! thanks

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
A nice set of conflicts there. If you know what this woman is going to say against Darwin you have a whole essay worth of conflict there.

And the conflict of marrying for money and status and not love - gosh isn't this the plot line of many a classic (Austin?? Never read it, but I think it is in some respects.)

But not only is he compromising happiness for the sake of money and family, he is compromising his values and beliefs. He is the man but surely, in this sort of relationship where he brings minimal financial support to the partnership, he is the minor partner. Even in those times, will he be forced to accept and follow the beliefs of his new wife (whose beliefs are, no doubt, those of her father). Compromising your values is a greater conflict than anything else.

It sounds like a great exercise. Enjoy.

tessery

HSC
hey thanks so much for a quick reply - its comforting to know you think its alright! thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)