URGENT HEL!!!! Uni decision!! (1 Viewer)

jeonghannie

HSC
Hi, so I need urgent help because idk when the enrollment for the uni closes,

so I got an offer to study at MQ Uni for a bachelor of commerce and also got an offer at UNSW however it is not commerce but they gave me an offer to study arts so my question is that if i decide to do arts in UNSW and major in like Politics and International Relation would I be able to transfer to commerce later and my other option is that would I be able to add Commerce as a double degree after like 1 one year? Please help me thank youuuu

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations on your offers! Yes, you can transfer to UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce from either MQ's Bachelor of Commerce or UNSW's Bachelor of Arts after 1 year, which is when your university results become eligible for consideration alongside your ATAR (the university will consider whichever is more favourable). However, the MQ Bachelor of Commerce to the UNSW Bachelor of Commerce path is not identical to the UNSW Bachelor of Arts to the UNSW Bachelor of Commerce path. The former is likely to be more advantageous than the latter, given that you would be studying the same degree at a different university. The reason that this would be more advantageous is that the Bachelor of Commerce is likely to be similar at both MQ and UNSW, meaning that there is a better chance that you would receive recognition of prior learning if you choose that path. This means that your degree progress would not be undermined, or at least not to the extent of transferring from the Bachelor of Arts to the Bachelor of Commerce, which are not as similar.

Your other option also appears to be potentially effective. This is because UNSW allows internal transfers between single degrees and double degrees through its Internal Program Transfer (IPT). With that being said, it would be a good idea to contact UNSW to confirm whether a transfer from a Bachelor of Arts to a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts specifically is possible through the IPT. If not, the MQ → UNSW path would probably be your second-best option (or perhaps even your best option if the Bachelor of Commerce is your desired degree, since it would guarantee that you will study this degree in the worst-case scenario).

I hope this helps! 😄

jeonghannie

HSC
Congratulations on your offers! Yes, you can transfer to UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce from either MQ's Bachelor of Commerce or UNSW's Bachelor of Arts after 1 year, which is when your university results become eligible for consideration alongside your ATAR (the university will consider whichever is more favourable). However, the MQ Bachelor of Commerce to the UNSW Bachelor of Commerce path is not identical to the UNSW Bachelor of Arts to the UNSW Bachelor of Commerce path. The former is likely to be more advantageous than the latter, given that you would be studying the same degree at a different university. The reason that this would be more advantageous is that the Bachelor of Commerce is likely to be similar at both MQ and UNSW, meaning that there is a better chance that you would receive recognition of prior learning if you choose that path. This means that your degree progress would not be undermined, or at least not to the extent of transferring from the Bachelor of Arts to the Bachelor of Commerce, which are not as similar.

Your other option also appears to be potentially effective. This is because UNSW allows internal transfers between single degrees and double degrees through its Internal Program Transfer (IPT). With that being said, it would be a good idea to contact UNSW to confirm whether a transfer from a Bachelor of Arts to a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts specifically is possible through the IPT. If not, the MQ → UNSW path would probably be your second-best option (or perhaps even your best option if the Bachelor of Commerce is your desired degree, since it would guarantee that you will study this degree in the worst-case scenario).

I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you so much for replying, and also I also want to know if it is easy to go from single to double degree like do we need to get a certain marks and is it easy to get good marks in uni

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much for replying, and also I also want to know if it is easy to go from single to double degree like do we need to get a certain marks and is it easy to get good marks in uni
Typically, you can transfer from any program at one university to any other program at that university (single to double, double to single, single to single, or double to double) after a semester of year of study if you have a high enough GPA, note that not all of your completed courses may count towards your new program and some transfers are not allowed typically it is very difficult to transfer to medicine or law. Most unis set their internal transfer standard at 5-6 GPA, this means your class averages across your first year need to be 65%-75% or above. To get a 75 (Distinction) in any given course you should be studying and attending classes for a total of around 150-300 hours [depending on how fast you learn and how good you are at the material and how the class is structured], so for a full year and 8 courses you can expect to study anywhere from 1200 hours (24 hours/week) all the way up to 2400 hours (48 hours/week) to ensure you have a high enough GPA to be accepted to transfer.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Consistent with ZakaryJayNicholls’s post, an internal transfer to UNSW’s Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts requires a WAM of 75. This means that you should ideally be achieving distinctions/high distinctions in your units to maximise your chances of being approved for the transfer.

The difficulty of your units will depend on the degree that you end up studying, as well as the major(s) that you choose. Generally speaking, favourable performance is definitely possible, as long as you remain up-to-date with the content of your units as well as complete your assignments and exams at the highest possible standard.

Luukas.2

HSC
Consistent with ZakaryJayNicholls’s post, an internal transfer to UNSW’s Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts requires a WAM of 75. This means that you should ideally be achieving distinctions/high distinctions in your units to maximise your chances of being approved for the transfer.
Don't underestimate the difficulty of achieving a WAM of 75, @jeonghannie. When there were guidelines applying to grades, the guideline was that grades of distinction (D) and high distinction (HD) would typically be achieved by about 15% of the students who pass the unit of study. Marks above 75 are much more common at school than they are at university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)