UNVERSITY entry worries (1 Viewer)

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
Hello everyone hope you are all coping great!

Now, I went to a careers day yesterday and my head is buzzing with
all this info about unis and stuff. So, lets begin--

- Say I want to apply to UTS or UNSW is it better to apply directly or through UAC??

- Say I apply through UAC and dont get enough UAI for the course do they choose my second preference?

- Say I want to do engineering and use that 'HSCplus" option of adding points to it can I apply separately for it even if I dont put that course as first choice?

anyways ....i am still sorta confused about scholarships and stuff but helping me with these will be great....thanks all

:)

runnable

HSC
CRANK-SHAFT said:
Hello everyone hope you are all coping great!

Now, I went to a careers day yesterday and my head is buzzing with
all this info about unis and stuff. So, lets begin--

- Say I want to apply to UTS or UNSW is it better to apply directly or through UAC??

- Say I apply through UAC and dont get enough UAI for the course do they choose my second preference?

- Say I want to do engineering and use that 'HSCplus" option of adding points to it can I apply separately for it even if I dont put that course as first choice?

anyways ....i am still sorta confused about scholarships and stuff but helping me with these will be great....thanks all

:)
If you are local student and in Year 12, UAC is compulsory.

You have 9 choices, you get in the ones you can get in, in order of your preference.

HSCplus works even if its not your first option.

But really, all of this is common sense or can be easily accessed through UAC site or universitiy sites.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
HSCPlus is for UNSW only (with a maximum of 5 UAI's rewarded). UTS has it under a different name, and it's somewhat a different system (in terms of how many bonus points they give out to specific bands and subjects). I'm not sure about other uni's. USyd don't have any of that.

You put a maximum of 9 preferences on your list, and then say the first one you put was Law at USYD (99+), 2nd choice is Commerce at UNSW (95+), and your 3rd preference was Engineering at UNSW (88+).

And your UAI ended up looking like an 94.00.

Your first prefernce of Law will then be ignored and you will be given an offer at UNSW -- IF you did HSC subjects that allowed you to get the HSCplus bonus (and the cut off didn't jump above 99.00). Otherwise you'd safely land on your 3rd preference assuming the cut off for Engineering that year didn't jump up by over 6 points (or up to 11 points if you count HSCplus).

So you don't need to put it as your first preference to have the HSCplus added onto your UAI. As long as you achieved the relevant band in the relevant subject.

Last edited:

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
wow thanks very helpful
thanks a lot guys...

I will tell you about the other issues-

UTS has a scholarship program and I think its the Co-OP program for engo
and they need like info about yourself blah blah...and also an interview

Has anyone on these forums been to one of these shcolarship interviews ever- just wondering what to expect ay???

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)