• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW vs USyd in computer science (1 Viewer)

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to UNSW Science / Computer Science now =D

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Richard Buckland is fantastic. I've had one interaction with him and he's instantly likeable and also makes a great lecturer.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
omg is this THE richard buckland. i'm an actuarial + comp sci student at macquarie and I've watched a few of your lectures on youtube. keep up the great work.
I would think it is not. The tone seems correct, yet there is a noticeable absense of uppercasing the start of any sentence or nouns etc.

deltasalt

HSC
I am also deciding between UNSW and USYD for computer science; but i am starting next year. I am siding with UNSW and a big reason is Richard Buckland (good teachers seems like one of the biggest points when considering unis). But i am looking at the course layout for computer science here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2011/3978.html

If you click the comp courses and click "see class timetable"

You will see that Richard seems to only be teaching one subject in the first year (comp1917) and only for the first semester :(

Richard if you are still reading is this true?

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I am also deciding between UNSW and USYD for computer science; but i am starting next year. I am siding with UNSW and a big reason is Richard Buckland (good teachers seems like one of the biggest points when considering unis). But i am looking at the course layout for computer science here: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2011/3978.html

If you click the comp courses and click "see class timetable"

You will see that Richard seems to only be teaching one subject in the first year (comp1917) and only for the first semester :(

Richard if you are still reading is this true?
It seems he also teaches COMP9441 Security Engineering and COMP9447 Security Engineering Workshop
Shame I intend to major in something else. But surely there will be other great lecturers!

EDIT: Does James Curran teach anything other than INFO1903?

Last edited:

deltasalt

HSC
It seems he also teaches COMP9441 Security Engineering and COMP9447 Security Engineering Workshop
Shame I intend to major in something else. But surely there will be other great lecturers!

EDIT: Does James Curran teach anything other than INFO1903?
Yeah it is a bit of a shame but i am sure you are right that the other lecturers would be great as well. I also saw in the youtube videos another lecturer Tim Lambert and another guy who i can't remember his name and while they didn't seem to have the same energy as Richard they both seemed pretty good as well.

Although when you think about it when looking at that timetable it is for 2011 but in 2012 it could be different so it could just so happen that you get him in the first year and then when you are in second year his timetable changes and you get him again. Looking back in previous years it seems he taught these subjects:

2008: comp1917 (year 1 subject)
2009: comp1927 (year 1 subject)
2010: comp2911 (year 2 subject)
2011: comp1917 (year 1 subject)

So if someone started comp sci in 2009 they would be lucky and have him in the first year and second year. But people who started in 2010 wouldn’t have had him at all :S

BTW when are you starting Pwoh?

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it is a bit of a shame but i am sure you are right that the other lecturers would be great as well. I also saw in the youtube videos another lecturer Tim Lambert and another guy who i can't remember his name and while they didn't seem to have the same energy as Richard they both seemed pretty good as well.

Although when you think about it when looking at that timetable it is for 2011 but in 2012 it could be different so it could just so happen that you get him in the first year and then when you are in second year his timetable changes and you get him again. Looking back in previous years it seems he taught these subjects:

2008: comp1917 (year 1 subject)
2009: comp1927 (year 1 subject)
2010: comp2911 (year 2 subject)
2011: comp1917 (year 1 subject)

So if someone started comp sci in 2009 they would be lucky and have him in the first year and second year. But people who started in 2010 wouldn’t have had him at all :S

BTW when are you starting Pwoh?

This year. Seems unlikely he would take 2nd year again instead of 1st year but I can hope!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)