UNSW vs USyd in computer science (1 Viewer)

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
So I put together a 9 page comparison on these two unis for computer science
(http://www.scribd.com/doc/45035782/UNSW-vs-USyd-in-Computer-Science)

But I'm still haven't trouble deciding. I'm leaning towards UNSW at the moment, even though USyd is offering me more $$.
(USyd: Merit scholarship $6000 p.a.; UNSW: Women in Computing $3000 one-off)

Anything else I could consider? If it helps I'm considering doing post-grad as well after the bachelors. Help! :O

EDIT: I also received an EAS eligibility letter, a "Yes" for UNSW and a "No" for USyd. I don't need the points but apparently there's scholarships of some sort related to this?

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
UNSW is the best in Australia. I'd consider which one is closer (travelling 1 hr + to get to uni sucks a dick.)
Undergraduate doesn't really matter that much so the scholarship one could be better - personally I was going to pick USyd over UNSW because I hate the idea of general education.

Edit: UNSW has more intresting stuff imo

Last edited:

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW is the best in Australia. I'd consider which one is closer (travelling 1 hr + to get to uni sucks a dick.)
Undergraduate doesn't really matter that much so the scholarship one could be better - personally I was going to pick USyd over UNSW because I hate the idea of general education.

Edit: UNSW has more intresting stuff imo
I don't mind gen ed. The problem is it seems the gap between them is closing - if you see the rankings for the eng/it dept it's quite close this year. I'll still probably go to UNSW but it's a shame they won't bribe me more haha

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, I don't think any university has rep for IT or computer science. I dare say you should go where you like the student life and environment; where the best scholarships for you are; and even if you know some people and can fit in with those you know.

You've got open choices.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That is one seriously comprehensive comparison. As mentioned before, just go to the one you like best in terms of student life etc.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I don't mind gen ed. The problem is it seems the gap between them is closing - if you see the rankings for the eng/it dept it's quite close this year. I'll still probably go to UNSW but it's a shame they won't bribe me more haha
Go for interesting shit over the rankings - The scholarship is pretty darn nice though (I get $20k if I get into ANU - being poor and all!)

HSC
N/A
Just a note on your comparisons - you have listed COMP1911 and COMP1921, but if you do any Compuitng Major you will need to do COMP1917 and COMP1927 http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/computerscience.php . This is scheduled to be taught by Richard Buckland again in 2011 and put up on YouTube as well. COMP1911 is now only for non-Computing major students.

Also, more of our acheivements is listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNSW_Faculty_of_Engineering#School_of_Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Good luck with your decision!

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a note on your comparisons - you have listed COMP1911 and COMP1921, but if you do any Compuitng Major you will need to do COMP1917 and COMP1927 http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/computerscience.php . This is scheduled to be taught by Richard Buckland again in 2011 and put up on YouTube as well. COMP1911 is now only for non-Computing major students.

Also, more of our acheivements is listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNSW_Faculty_of_Engineering#School_of_Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks I will correct that, I forgot where I copied and pasted that from =/

RichardBuckland

HSC
N/A
hi pwoh,

if you can come into our info day today i'll be around most of the day (tho meeting some other students around lunch to plot evil plans for our upcoming first years mwahahaha) and i'd be pleased to chat with you and find out what you are looking for at uni and answer an questions you have.

i think you said unsw appears to have good numbers in the stats you posted but as i'm sure you already know it would be crazy to select a uni based on some numbers!

unsw is indeed fantastic but from my personal experience sydney, macquarie, and wollongong also have great strengths and i expect uts and uws do too tho i don;t have any personal experience there.

if you come in we can wander around campus and find some computing students for you to talk with also. that will probably be a better measure of reality than those numbers.

cheers,
richard

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I'd choose UNSW but that scholarship really tips it and I'd go to USyd just to be able to use it.

deterministic

HSC
hi pwoh,

if you can come into our info day today i'll be around most of the day (tho meeting some other students around lunch to plot evil plans for our upcoming first years mwahahaha) and i'd be pleased to chat with you and find out what you are looking for at uni and answer an questions you have.

i think you said unsw appears to have good numbers in the stats you posted but as i'm sure you already know it would be crazy to select a uni based on some numbers!

unsw is indeed fantastic but from my personal experience sydney, macquarie, and wollongong also have great strengths and i expect uts and uws do too tho i don;t have any personal experience there.

if you come in we can wander around campus and find some computing students for you to talk with also. that will probably be a better measure of reality than those numbers.

cheers,
richard
Go to unsw just to get this person as a lecturer

ascentyx

HSC
hi pwoh,

cheers,
richard
omg is this THE richard buckland. i'm an actuarial + comp sci student at macquarie and I've watched a few of your lectures on youtube. keep up the great work.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
hi pwoh,

cheers,
richard
^ Prof Buckland is kickarse. Come to UNSW to learn awesome stuff along side your course from him.

Seriously though UNSW is so much more ahead of USYD in pretty much every department RE: Comp Sci.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
(Note that I can confirm that was indeed Mr. Buckland posting, overheard him talking about this very post today (info day))

Have you perhaps considered the non-academic advantages of each uni as well? Surely, if you are having such trouble picking between both universities then you must think they are relatively equal in terms of academic merits, so why not take into account student life as well? I would definitely have suggested attending Info Day at UNSW if you were interested, and also at USyd if they have such a thing.

I cannot speak for USyd as I have no experience there, but I can answer any questions you may have about social life as a computer science student at UNSW. For a starter, we have a constituent student-run society known as CSESoc who run regular events (generally at least one a week, plus a free weekly barbecue) and have a large student-only office for chilling out, relaxing, studying or having fun in between classes.

Aside from CSESoc, we also have CSE Revue, an annual sketch comedy show that is entirely student-produced, and also runs numerous social events throughout each semester.

During first semester there is also a CSE Student Network run for first-years to meet others in their year as well as older students in computer science (many of which are also active members of CSESoc as well as CSE Revue, so there is a very large social group).

Finally, there are also many non-CSE clubs and societies which are generally free to join and participate in (see ARC@UNSW's website for details). These include Sunswift Solar Car, BLUESat micro-satellite, ELSOC (a large society with mostly electrical engineering students), Mechsoc (the same with mechanical engineering students), and many, many others.

USyd I have no experience with, but I do know they provide a student society known as SUITS though I cannot speak for their events or social group. There is also a Science Revue if you are interested in that.

Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)