• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW vs USYD Commerce (1 Viewer)

pHyRe

HSC
yeah brah..
Don't doubt the New South!
also more flexible timetables i heard ..
haha, usyd's timetabling isnt that bad. You can rock up to whatever classes you want since they dont take attendance and select times when you are 'unavailable' so you get decent timetables. im just gonna put unavailable until 10am haha, dont wanna wake up early ;)

dunno about shops though, haven't looked in to it. but surely there's foodoutlets at a uni of 50,000?

williamdaft

HSC
haha, usyd's timetabling isnt that bad. You can rock up to whatever classes you want since they dont take attendance and select times when you are 'unavailable' so you get decent timetables. im just gonna put unavailable until 10am haha, dont wanna wake up early ;)

dunno about shops though, haven't looked in to it. but surely there's foodoutlets at a uni of 50,000?
haha cool, oh really? nice - yeah I'm not a morning person either haha

ChillTime

HSC
I recommend that you walk around the campuses of both unis before deciding. I don't think the quality of education will differ by much. USYD has more social events and a larger campus. UNSW is more compact and requires less walking.

I've heard the quality of education for commerce is more organised at UNSW (from multiple friends, including one guy from USYD). However, the quality of the partners for group assignments will be better at USYD. Group assignments won't take up a huge chunk, but it's something to consider.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you can basically do that at USYD by choosing the times where you're "unavailable" ... and at USYD, there is much less competition in getting the times you want on your timetable.
You don't have to go through this unavailiable bullshit at unsw, you just make it and you can keep changing it as much as you like until week 1 at your own leisure which is definitely better. Timetables are a big factor in comm imo with cadetships and part time jobs and stuff

jenslekman

HSC
Sometimes choosing to deliberately go where you know no one is great. Depends on the person.

USYD has shops...it's also ridiculously close to Broadway and by extension, the Sydney CBD :p
this.

Agreed.

I came to USyd knowing literally no one (excluding 4 high school acquaintances I talked to anyways and the BoS krew) and tbh, I found it to be pretty great. If I went to say UNSW, I probably would have remained in my original friendship circle. But since it wasn't the case, I actually had to make the effort to meet people and consequently, I found that I 'crawled out of my social shell' and flourished socially. I've met some pretty damn down-to-earth people and also a variety of lovable personalities - and I never looked back :)

soz i got a bit carried away, im an emotional asianese :cry:
this. also, ily asianese #2

You don't have to go through this unavailiable bullshit at unsw, you just make it and you can keep changing it as much as you like until week 1 at your own leisure which is definitely better. Timetables are a big factor in comm imo with cadetships and part time jobs and stuff
"unavailable bullshit" takes 10min to do if you know what you're doing. meanwhile, i hear my unsw comm buddies stressin over timetable making tomorrow - popular times are probably hard to get at unsw, while at usyd, i've never enccountered a situation where i couldnt get into a class at a certain time i wanted to be in.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Sometimes choosing to deliberately go where you know no one is great. Depends on the person.

USYD has shops...it's also ridiculously close to Broadway and by extension, the Sydney CBD :p
This is gold. Meeting up with my high school friends occasionally it's like nothing ever changes and that's quite boring when it comes down to it. Meeting new people and learning to interact with people of all ages is a great experience that you only really ever benefit from. I mean, who would honestly want to stay in the same friendship circle forever and live a shallow life from there (not like you're an idiot shallow, just like a dull nothing new shallow).

Also if you want to talk about CBD, UTS wins that :p

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I recommend that you walk around the campuses of both unis before deciding. I don't think the quality of education will differ by much. USYD has more social events and a larger campus. UNSW is more compact and requires less walking.

I've heard the quality of education for commerce is more organised at UNSW (from multiple friends, including one guy from USYD). However, the quality of the partners for group assignments will be better at USYD. Group assignments won't take up a huge chunk, but it's something to consider.
but dem stairs

legs day erryday

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
"unavailable bullshit" takes 10min to do if you know what you're doing. meanwhile, i hear my unsw comm buddies stressin over timetable making tomorrow - popular times are probably hard to get at unsw, while at usyd, i've never enccountered a situation where i couldnt get into a class at a certain time i wanted to be in.
I go to unsw and I always got my class too at the exact room that I wanted, there are always plenty of spots when enrolling you're friends are 1st or 2nd year noobs.

williamdaft

HSC
For UNSW commerce, is it possible to go to uni 3 days a week?
When does a student organise his/her timetable?

HSC
If you sleep well the night before and snack throughout the day you can manage 6 hours a day. I've done it ( in science). Depends on how you want to do it.../ part time job etc

williamdaft

HSC
If you sleep well the night before and snack throughout the day you can manage 6 hours a day. I've done it ( in science). Depends on how you want to do it.../ part time job etc
Awesome! If I had a day with 6hrs, I hope I don't fall asleep in the last lecture lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)