UNSW Rural Student Entry Scheme? (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
I have looked up everything I can find about The Rural Student Entry Scheme, and I am eligible. The question is, am I better off applying through the Rural Student Entry Scheme, or just normally? Applicants for it will be suggested based on UAI, UMAT, interview, and 'rurality' or rural rating. Each catagory is equally weighed. To get an interview, UAI, UMAT and rural rating are used.

I lived in Dubbo since I was four and only moved to the city in 2003. Which means I spent 8 years in a rural area (11 in my whole life, but only from age 5 up counts) and 5 years in a non rural area.(even though I live in Camden which is so not city but not rural either) Dubbo has a 'rural rating' of 3 where 1 is the lowest ie the city and 7 is the highest. Camden has a rating of 1, both of which arent very high. I do have significant rural ties though, and this doesnt really represent it, so I think that if I were able to get an interview then I would be able to convince them of my rurality. I just dont know if this would be enough to get me an interview.

The minimum UAI for Rural students is 90.00, which is 5.00 percent lower than the normal UAI. The thing is, realistically I will probably get around 97 so either way, I will get the minimum. But it will definetly be very low compared to the city students but high compared to the rural students. But only 25% of the overall places go to Rural students.

Would I have a better chance of getting in hy applying through the normal process or Rural Student Entry Scheme?

Before someone says so, I know im only in yr 11 and it is a bit premature to be asking these questions. But I was bored. And interested.

Breakingthegirl

HSC
hey...i have just sent my Rural Medicine Scheme application.
my advice is that you would be crazy not to apply as a rual student. the reason for this is the ratio of rural studentswho apply for 25% of the places as compared with the numbers who apply for general entry.
Good luck!

kloudsurfer

HSC
Whoa, 25%!!!!!???? I didnt realise that there were that many Rural places! That makes things a lot easier!
Thanks for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)