UNSW Psychology and APS Certification (1 Viewer)

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Okay, just another general query -

I have heard that, to satisfy the APS (Australian Psychological Society) requirements, one must complete at least a 4 year psychology or psych-majored degree whilst undertaking mathematics in each consecutive year.
By the same premise, I have also heard that one is only required to take mathematics for a single semester each year. Can anybody explain?

And finally, is B Science / B Arts with a major in Psych and minor in Mathematics considered satisfying the APS requirements?

Thanks.

oxy

HSC
The maths is the stats you have to do each year. They arent totally maths, and look at other stuff like interpretation of scatter graphs.

Each year at UNSW you will need to do the "research methods" subjects which will include using statistics. ie, Psych1B has stats in first year, 2001 has stats in year 2 and methods 3A and 3B will have stats in year 3. You don't need to do a minor in maths.

You can still be recognised with the APS with that plan (combined degree). To be recognized, you need to do 4 years of psych study (3 years+ honours) at UNSW and follow it up with 2 years of postgrad (eg. forensic, clinical, organisational). Since you are doing a combined degree, it will take you take a bit more time cause your initial degree is longer. e.g. if BA/BA is 5 years, it will take you 8 years to be APS recognised.

Notes: To be considered for honours you need to do more subjects, than just that necessary to major in psych. (e.g. ALL level 2 subjects, methods 3B AS WELL as 3A.. 84 units instead of 60)
In B Sci, you need an average of 70 vs. an average of 65 for students coming from B Psych to enter honours, across your 2nd and 3rd year subjects.

specialjenny

HSC
Thanks for your answers.

Do you happen to know that when they say:

"In Stage 1 students must complete 24 units from science schools"

Can we do more than 24 units from science schools? Like can I do all 48 units from science schools? Thanks very much.

bubble

Moo
HSC
Yes you can do as much science as you want. You can fill up all your electives with science if you so choose.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
so like

ok first year i only have a few specified psych subjects, so the electives i filled with science, plus a few random stuff i find interesting.
i.e i did not in my electives pick behavoural science or psych related stuff

is that bad? is that going to hurt my chances at honours?

also seen as 4 years study is required to be recognised i noticed that
B Psych is a 4 year course, and B Sci [Psych] is a 3 year course[what i am doing] so i pretty much need honours, but would it be easier to try and switch to B Pysch? seen as my faculty allows that to happen if you get decent marks in first year

2 years post grad for clinical eh? damn thats 6 years at uni if i want to go down that path.

1st year subjects are:
autmn session
Biology
chem
history
psych foundations A[required]
spring
biology
introduction to linguistics
foundations pysch B[required]
theory design and statistics in pysch[required]

so for my second year i have to pick every pysch subject available, even those not required to be eligible for honours? wow

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
its not gonna matter, cause iam at UoW not UNSW, just our forum doesnt have any psych people so i thought i would come discuss it with people actually doing the same degree
code is psyc123

oxy

HSC
Serius said:
its not gonna matter, cause iam at UoW not UNSW, just our forum doesnt have any psych people so i thought i would come discuss it with people actually doing the same degree
code is psyc123
I dont know, check the rules at your uni. At UNSW, you should be looking to transfer to B Psych as they get 'preference' over normal sci students. To be recognised by the APS, at ANY UNI, you need SIX MINIMUM YEARS OF STUDY. honours + specific field (org, forensic, clinical)

To be a psychologist and be recognised by the board of NSW or whatever, you need 4 years and 2 years of practical experience.

Becoming a psychologist is a lot of work...

specialjenny

HSC
I am planning on doing psychology via B Science too Serius. But my plan is finish the 3 years at UNSW and do the 4th year as a post grad dip offered at UWS. Because I think it would be hard to maintain a 70 marks average for all the 2nd and 3rd year Psychology subjects.

oxy

HSC
Hi guys,

just raining on your party again...
you should consider the fact that postgrad psychology is for fee paying students only. The only uni that i know of that offers HECS for postgrad is actually UNSW...

The reason why B Psych students can get away with a mark of 65 is because they achieved an initial higher UAI. B Adv Sci students majoring in psych can also get away with an average of 65 (both courses require >90UAI in 2005)

What is completely stupid is that even if you major in com/sci, which had a cut off of 95 (very close to B Psych, and higher than Adv Sci), you cannot get by with 65 and need 70. The system is stupid.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
that 1 yr post grad dip is $10K usually
and u need a min. 65 to get in

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
for some reason, at UNSW, philosophy can be done as a "science" subject (when doing B Psych at least and trying to get that 24UOC from science faculty). Just for comparrison: chem/bio/etc = 6hrs a week ..... philosophy = 3hrs a week.

Just food for thought. Do whatever it is you think you can go well in and is interesting.

Ac

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
money isnt really an issue for me, and i dont see keeping at average of 70 to be a problem. B Psyc people dont get any preference in the honours over the B S Psyc and B A Psyc people. So either i do honours, or i scam my way into B Psyc and still do honours, or do their crappy 4th year thing and iam sweet

specialjenny

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
that 1 yr post grad dip is $10K usually
and u need a min. 65 to get in

Money isn't an issue for me as well.

I just didn't know about the min. 65 bit. Min. 65 for what? the second and third year Psychology subjects?? Sorry I am just not quite sure.. and didn't know about it at all. Geez, when I spoke to those UWS people, they could have told me about it. They made it sound like all you need is complete 3 years of psychology and have a bit of money in hand, and there you go.. here's your 4 th year.

Have a good night everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)