UNSW or USYD for engineering/science (1 Viewer)

flyingmedmang

HSC
Sup :)
I am interested in B Engineering/Science course at UNSW or Usyd.
But I am not sure. I am planning to enter Medicine @ Usyd, UNSW, Melbourne or monash as postgraduate (or another route), but that does not mean I will succeed, so I just put in engineering for my "better life" insurance. So which uni is better?
In my opinion Science is good at usyd but UNSW is better at engineering, so I am confused... because good science skills means good GAMSAT (similar to umat but for postgraduates) result but not good engineering skills means bad news. Also transportation to UNSW is worst compared to usyd. A part of me is telling "Why bother travelling more miles, u seen that environment, it was hektic, u can roll on the grass and everything" but other part is saying "omg bro unsw is better at engineering, it got noodle shops and shit"
The whole point is, if I do engineering at USYD, is that a big loss? (its civil)

Thanks for your help :)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
i dont even think the commute to unsw is that bad. its marginally worse than usyd's.

Jonneeh

HSC
On the Same boat, doing BComm/Sci then Postgrad med at USYD

For Commerce NSW>SYD
For Science SYD>NSW

But the fact that the course is 4 years at unsw compared to 5 at usyd, that ultimately made my decision

troika_

HSC
Anyone care to explain why UNSW got trashed in the rankings this year?

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/engineering-and-it.html

didn't make the top 50 unis for engineering (Melbourne first in aus, QLD, USYD)

and USYD 3rd whilst UNSW 7th in Australia

EDIT: I just read somewhere that these rankings are heavily based upon these uni's research projects... =/

I'm planning to go USYD for Power Engineering (EA cadetship wont allow a double degree =[)

Any comments?

Last edited:

twistedrebel

HSC
look at the QS rankings. Times and QS split so there was 2 sorts of rankings. They use different methods, but the QS seem more in line with past years. The times seem a bit weired, like how the hell MIT isnt number one in engineering doesn't make sense.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think the only rankings that applies to us aren't those ones which rank research intensity or whatnot, but the Good Uni Guide 2011.

And for that Sydney's engineering is labelled 'worse' than others. No data for UNSW, though on an all university front UNSW > Sydney anyway. And for Science UNSW > Sydney by the tiniest of margins (we had to go to amount that got work to separate the two)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)