UNSW Medicine: Whats so good about it? (1 Viewer)

Graphic FX

HSC
For those of u who have MBBS at UNSW as ur first preference....why do u want to go there? Whats so good about it?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Dam, it's like I'm the only one who doesn't know what happen at UNSW involving the cadavers! What happen Nebuch?

Gosford

HSC
isnt it obvious
instead of wasting 5 years of uni, struglling to make ends meet
u waste 6
oh and u get the medical science thing on ur degree
but i dont think any1 would ever go
which person do i want to be a doctor at my surgery
Person A, UNSW, and Person B, UWS
oh yes, UNSW, coz he did medical research (it's got little bonus in the working field)
but i guess another main drawing factor is it is in the middle of the city
me, i would rather go to uncle, just as far away (im on the central coast), but only 5 years, and can do half of degree in gosford!!!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UNSW mbbs no longer gives the BSc(Med)

technically its 1 more yr for the honours..same all 5-6 yr unis.. except melb.. but to get the MBBS BMedSc(hons).. u need to do lik 6months -1 yr extra

Gosford

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
UNSW mbbs no longer gives the BSc(Med)

technically its 1 more yr for the honours..same all 5-6 yr unis.. except melb.. but to get the MBBS BMedSc(hons).. u need to do lik 6months -1 yr extra
so is it at all possible to do just 5 years at somewhere like UNSW?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No. UNSW Medicine has 3 teaching phases. Each phase is 2 years.

kloudsurfer

HSC
UWS is too close to where I live and UNCLE is too far away. That is why UNSW is so good (for me anyway)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hahaha UNSW - 6 yrs.. MBBS... 7 yrs.. MBBS/BSc(Med) (Hons)
Umelb - 6 yrs MBBS/BMedSc.... 6.5-7yrs MBBS/BMedSc (Hons)
UAdel- 6 yr MBBS.. 7 yrs MBBS/H.BMedSc
UQ- 6 yrs MBBS/BMedSc.... 7yrs MBBS/BMedSc (Hons)

UNCLE/Monash/?UWS- 5 yr MBBS.. 6 yrs MBBS/BMedSc (hons)

get it?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Just a couple corrections on the length of UNSW degrees:

The normal degree: MBBS = 6 years

It is generally stated that MBBS/BMedSci(hons) = 6.5 yrs, but if you arrange things right you can do it in 6 years (by taking a couple gen eds in the summer etc...)

BA/MBBS = 7 years

If you arrange things right you can technically do BA(hons)/MBBS or BA/MBBS/BMedSci(hons) in 7 years (which is what I plan to do)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Graphic FX said:
For those of u who have MBBS at UNSW as ur first preference....why do u want to go there? Whats so good about it?
It's hard to say what makes it good (compared to other unis) without having studied medicine at other universities. As far as I can tell (after a couple years of study) there isn't really any amazing stand out feature of the course which makes it intrinsically worthwhile. Basically, the course seems to be what you make of it - by engaging with peers and teachers, seeking teaching/learning opportunities, getting involved in extra curricular stuff, and so forth... Our resources are good, we have access to good hospitals and teaching is reasonable (some academics are great, some average, some terrible - mixed bag really). All the essentials are there but the more you put in, the more you get out I reckon.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
The good thing about UNSW med is that it is the best uni for med for those who do a med degree their.

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
Gosford said:
oh yes, UNSW, coz he did medical research (it's got little bonus in the working field)
I don't think you realise how important research is becoming to the clinical practice of medicine. All the medical colleges are reviewing their curricula with greater emphasis on research, and trainees, like ObsGyn trainees for example, now must undertake a research project as part of their training. Having an introduction to research methods at uni is quite beneficial for the future.

In fact, UNSW is developing partnership programs with some of the colleges to give UNSW graduates advanced standing in training later on so I wouldn't look at this part of the course as a waste of time.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
liverpool3k said:
uhhh. wth?

:rofl: I think he means people who obtain their medical degree from UNSW are better off in terms of employment opportunities, which is bullshit.

BA22

MBBS II
HSC
Bacilli said:
:rofl: I think he means people who obtain their medical degree from UNSW are better off in terms of employment opportunities, which is bullshit.
I think he actually meant that those who go to UNSW think it's really good for med, because they go there. Personal Bias, basically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)