UNSW med (1 Viewer)

Zali

HSC
Hi guys

Just thought id let you know that I'm meeting with a lady from UNSW rural medicine tomorrow so if any1 has any questions theyd like me to ask post them here and il ask them for you and post the replys

P.S sorry for the short notice

ishq

brown?
HSC
Short and simple:
What are they looking for? :D
I doubt that would encourage a response, though...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
what programs/resources do they have to increase rural experiences for students to encourage them to stay in the country? e.g. rural weeks lik other schools?

i figured its in the line of questioning.. and hope tat stimulates wat type of questions ppl normally ask about rural programs..

Zali

HSC
In summary most uni's are looking for people who will work in the country. They want motivated people who show initiative and have an intrest in medicine and being a doctor rather than the money or the prestiege.

Coffs Harbour hospital in a few weeks is offically opening the new school of rural medicine. I got a tour and it looks pretty good. Everythings new, theyve got video conferencing for lectures and accomodation at the hospital for short stay students.

I got to sit in on a 4th year tutorial which was really interesting. They each did a powerpoint presentation on a case study and there was a lot of disscussion about the best treatment and a lot of words i didnt understand.

Theres alot of scholarships for people whom wil spend short stays training in the country. I live in coffs harbour n I wouldnt really consider it county its more like a smaller Newcastle. But hey I get bonus points on my UAI so not complaining.

What ever you do, if u get an interview and they ask you why u want to study medicine do say "because I want to help people" because 99% of people say this. And for all those people who think the interviewers are scarey, the lady who I talked to is a UNSW interviewer and shes one of the funnist ladies ive ever met.

Also if you can do some work experience as a nurse, occupational therapist, physio etc so you no why you don't want to be any of these and you want to be a docter.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Thanks for the information Zali!

I just wanted to clarify -
1. Most universities are looking for, and would prefer candidates who will work in the country regardless of whether or not they are rural students to begin with?
2. The lady who was the UNSW interviewer, is she a member of the Medicine faculty or staff at the university? Or does she have some other profession.

Thanks again! :)

Zali

HSC
Most unis want people who are willing to work in the country they dont have to be from a rural area.
The lady is the dicrecter of the school of rural health (I think) For the Coffs Harbour area. She was a docter for 12 years then the head of hospital administration

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)