UNSW Information Systems vs UTS Computing Science (1 Viewer)

HSC
Thoughts on these 2 degrees? Ideally I would like to do UNSW Computer Science but I don't think I'll meet the selection rank + I didn't do Extension 1 or 2 maths, so I think I will struggle in it anyway.

Is the prestige of UNSW worth it over UTS and will I have better employability in the long run? Do university rankings really matter? I am open for suggestions so any thoughts would be great!

moonsuyoung

HSC
What's the difference between information systems and computer science?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I am aware, both UNSW and UTS offer good programs, meaning that, from an educational perspective, you are likely to be satisfied with your learning experience at either university.

Essentially, you should pursue the degree that aligns with your study interests the closest. This would be better than studying a degree that you might not be interested in just so that you can study at a particular university. The prestige of a university (especially in a case where the two universities that you are contemplating offer good programs) should not be prioritised as this factor alone, that is, attending a more prestigious university, will not guarantee high employability.

The elements that increase your employability mainly include your academic performance (i.e. favourable university results) as well as any relevant work experience (and the resulting application and improvement of the skills that you learn) that you may gain through opportunities such as internships. Candidates who can demonstrate these qualities will be competitive when they apply for jobs, regardless of the university that they attended.

Alternatively, if you strongly believe that studying computer science at UNSW is the path that you should be taking, you can enrol in either UNSW's Bachelor of Information Systems or UTS's Bachelor of Computing Science and transfer to that program at a later point in time.

What's the difference between information systems and computer science?
I think that one of the differences is that the study of information systems entails a focus on the business environment, which makes sense to me when I recall Information Processes and Technology, where students are introduced to information systems. There was definitely a business-related aspect to these.

Someone else may be able to provide further information in this regard.

I hope this helps! :D

dav53521

HSC
Thoughts on these 2 degrees? Ideally I would like to do UNSW Computer Science but I don't think I'll meet the selection rank + I didn't do Extension 1 or 2 maths, so I think I will struggle in it anyway.

Is the prestige of UNSW worth it over UTS and will I have better employability in the long run? Do university rankings really matter? I am open for suggestions so any thoughts would be great!
I do comp sci at UTS so I cannot comment on UNSW comp sci and Information Systems as a whole.

However, I will say that you will still have to deal with ext 1/2 maths in Comp Sci at UTS. I also didn't do ext 1/2 and struggled my way through advanced however, even though I'm not doing the best in my math subjects at UTS I'm still doing alright so I'll say that if you put in effort you should be alright for maths at least at UTS comp sci.

Also for UTS comp sci you have to do honors which means you have to do 4 years and you also have to do an honors project. Even though UTS does offer a non honors course I believe it's only open to students who got accepted into the IDeA cadetship which is only offered to a certain number of students.

In terms of employability I'm not really sure as both UNSW and UTS do offer special courses that give work experience as UNSW has the Comp Sci co-op and UTS has it's newly introduced IDeA program (which i'm a part of) that provides students with a cadetship so they both can help you with getting work experince although you will have to be offered a position in them. But outside of these programs I can't really comment as in the end depending on the job you are going for there will be a need for work experience as in the end companies highly prefer work experience over prestige of a uni as a student from a prestigious uni who has no work experience will still require a lot of training and on boarding which does waste a companies time and money.

So in the end it's really up to you as it is always possible to switch courses if you are truly feel like switching.

HSC
As far as I am aware, both UNSW and UTS offer good programs, meaning that, from an educational perspective, you are likely to be satisfied with your learning experience at either university.

Essentially, you should pursue the degree that aligns with your study interests the closest. This would be better than studying a degree that you might not be interested in just so that you can study at a particular university. The prestige of a university (especially in a case where the two universities that you are contemplating offer good programs) should not be prioritised as this factor alone, that is, attending a more prestigious university, will not guarantee high employability.

The elements that increase your employability mainly include your academic performance (i.e. favourable university results) as well as any relevant work experience (and the resulting application and improvement of the skills that you learn) that you may gain through opportunities such as internships. Candidates who can demonstrate these qualities will be competitive when they apply for jobs, regardless of the university that they attended.

Alternatively, if you strongly believe that studying computer science at UNSW is the path that you should be taking, you can enrol in either UNSW's Bachelor of Information Systems or UTS's Bachelor of Computing Science and transfer to that program at a later point in time.

I think that one of the differences is that the study of information systems entails a focus on the business environment, which makes sense to me when I recall Information Processes and Technology, where students are introduced to information systems. There was definitely a business-related aspect to these.

Someone else may be able to provide further information in this regard.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you for your great insight as always Jimmy!

HSC
I do comp sci at UTS so I cannot comment on UNSW comp sci and Information Systems as a whole.

However, I will say that you will still have to deal with ext 1/2 maths in Comp Sci at UTS. I also didn't do ext 1/2 and struggled my way through advanced however, even though I'm not doing the best in my math subjects at UTS I'm still doing alright so I'll say that if you put in effort you should be alright for maths at least at UTS comp sci.

Also for UTS comp sci you have to do honors which means you have to do 4 years and you also have to do an honors project. Even though UTS does offer a non honors course I believe it's only open to students who got accepted into the IDeA cadetship which is only offered to a certain number of students.

In terms of employability I'm not really sure as both UNSW and UTS do offer special courses that give work experience as UNSW has the Comp Sci co-op and UTS has it's newly introduced IDeA program (which i'm a part of) that provides students with a cadetship so they both can help you with getting work experince although you will have to be offered a position in them. But outside of these programs I can't really comment as in the end depending on the job you are going for there will be a need for work experience as in the end companies highly prefer work experience over prestige of a uni as a student from a prestigious uni who has no work experience will still require a lot of training and on boarding which does waste a companies time and money.

So in the end it's really up to you as it is always possible to switch courses if you are truly feel like switching.
Thank you for your answer! Can I ask how the coding aspect in the course is like?

dav53521

HSC
Thank you for your answer! Can I ask how the coding aspect in the course is like?
The only coding aspect of my course so far has been programming 1 so I cannot give you too much insight into the coding aspect of the course as a whole but so far as someone with some programming experience I have found programming 1 to be of easy to medium difficulty however some parts of the course have been quite difficult so far. However, what I've noticed from some people who just started programming was that they are finding it quite difficult and some people have been struggling with the content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)