UNSW CS + Arts vs UTS Cyber Security + Criminology? (1 Viewer)

MaccaPaccca

HSC
I need help deciding, so I would love some input!

For some context;
- I'm very unsure about Arts/Criminology, I will most likely major in Criminology for arts in UNSW but I feel like these courses are more
to support my aspirations to work in cyber security
- I'm interested in having a fun social experience, and I'm unsure in which unis have a better 'social life' attached with it.
- I want to specialize and work in the field of cyber security, I have had prior experience learning and tinkering with cyber security tools
- I've only been to UNSW's open day and have not seen UTS properly, but I will say I do like the layout of UNSW's campus. It feels modern, fresh and spacious
- Although I would love to specialize in Cyber Security, I would appreciate some freedom in my jobs, and I feel like a cyber security degree is too 'specific'
- I don't mind the extra 10-15 travel time, but I'm unsure how much each uni has physical lessons (ik recorded lectures exist, but I'm still curious)

dav53521

HSC
I need help deciding, so I would love some input!

For some context;
- I'm very unsure about Arts/Criminology, I will most likely major in Criminology for arts in UNSW but I feel like these courses are more
to support my aspirations to work in cyber security
- I'm interested in having a fun social experience, and I'm unsure in which unis have a better 'social life' attached with it.
- I want to specialize and work in the field of cyber security, I have had prior experience learning and tinkering with cyber security tools
- I've only been to UNSW's open day and have not seen UTS properly, but I will say I do like the layout of UNSW's campus. It feels modern, fresh and spacious
- Although I would love to specialize in Cyber Security, I would appreciate some freedom in my jobs, and I feel like a cyber security degree is too 'specific'
- I don't mind the extra 10-15 travel time, but I'm unsure how much each uni has physical lessons (ik recorded lectures exist, but I'm still curious)
If you're interested in doing cyber security but want some openness you could get into comp sci/Info tech at UTS and do a major in cyber security.

If you do comp sci at UTS you'll only be to do one major but the comp sci course does offer two cyber security majors being privacy and cyber sec and networking and cyber sec, but you'll also have a comp sci degree so you can probably get into some other industry if you want to.
However, if you do Info Tech then you can have two majors with one being networking and cyber sec (as this is the only one offered to info tech) and then another one as something else.

There is also the UNSW Bachelor of Computing & Cyber Security if you want to go to UNSW but it's a selective degree and also requires you to move to canberra as you'll be studying at the australian defence force academy. Not too sure about UNSW comp sci having cyber sec tho as my bet it's Security Engineering but I'm not sure as I don't go there.

Also if you are sure about which industry you want to work you should follow what has been stated above and apply for cadetships and co-ops as even though you'll probably get placed into a cyber sec role you could potentially try to ask to try other roles. I know for the company that I'm working for in my cadetship they have a rotation scheme so I'll be rotated through different teams and I wouldn't be that surprised if other companies in co-ops and cadetship are either willing to do a rotation scheme or transfer interns/cadets, so you'll hopefully be able to try out different roles

Well currently for UTS all of my lectures are online while my tutorials/labs/workshops (some are but not that many) aren't so it is possible to only travel to UTS once or twice a week if you schedule right.

Last edited:

MaccaPaccca

HSC
If you're sure about wanting to do cyber security, have you had a look at any cadetships relating to this?
I remember looking at UNSW's cadetship with ADFA, and I was really interested. Well I was till until I saw that it was in Canberra... I can't leave my home syd aghhhh.

MaccaPaccca

HSC
There is also the UNSW Bachelor of Computing & Cyber Security if you want to go to UNSW but it's a selective degree and also requires you to move to canberra as you'll be studying at the australian defence force academy.
Canberra... T-T. Nah I think I'll stay with syd.

Well currently for UTS all of my lectures are online while my tutorials/labs/workshops (some are but not that many) aren't so it is possible to only travel to UTS once or twice a week if you schedule right.
Damnnnnnnn, this makes it like really hard for me to choose. This definitely makes me consider UTS more. I feel like its a very practical university compared to UNSW which is highly theoretical, though to a degree I can see the benefits of that. I'm just wondering what the societies/social life is like at UTS?

dav53521

HSC
Damnnnnnnn, this makes it like really hard for me to choose. This definitely makes me consider UTS more. I feel like its a very practical university compared to UNSW which is highly theoretical, though to a degree I can see the benefits of that. I'm just wondering what the societies/social life is like at UTS?
I know there are a quite a few societies and I know that they do tend to hold events but sadly I haven't really been to that many as they're either been held on the times i'm at work or not at uni so I can't really comment on what happens in each society. Also from what I know some societies do tend to meet up frequently while others don't so I guess it kinda depends on what societies you join. I do believe there is a social life at stuff like the pub and other places to hang out but I'm not really the social type so I'm not completely sure on how's the social life for most students as most of the friends I have made and talk to outside of each of my subjects are ones I've made in my cadetship.

Last edited:

MaccaPaccca

HSC
Have you seen this (Deloitte Cyber Academy Link)
Just looked at it, seems like a pretty practical experience. I'm worried this study/work opportunity might be not up to the standard of the known "tech" universities, but I'll dig more at it. And maybe attend some physical open days!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
This definitely makes me consider UTS more. I feel like its a very practical university compared to UNSW which is highly theoretical, though to a degree I can see the benefits of that. I'm just wondering what the societies/social life is like at UTS?
Also not sure what do you mean by very highly theoretical???? Highly theoretical implies a pure study of computing solely focused around the logic and mathematics moreso than its applications. For that I'll disagree but I can understand if you mean it is formal.

It offers computer science which is a field that uses programming languages and computing as a tool for understanding and applying algorithms, solving problems and so on, so at its core it will have some formal study of computing but you can tailor it to suit your preferences since there's a large variety of courses.

I wouldn't say to stay away from UNSW for being "highly theoretical" but moreso if you're not interested in a formal study of computing. It is definitely not overbearing and demanding in terms of requiring you to learn maths/logic/proofs HOWEVER you can go down a theoretical route. I would avoid UNSW if you're just seeking qualifications to complement your career (But I'd presume CISCO, Networking and other types of qualifications would make you more attractive).

Personally the computing courses I've taken + the resources given were really top quality, UNSW's really helpful in that sense but I can't speak for other things.

Last edited:

MaccaPaccca

HSC
There's a cybersecurity major.

View attachment 38502
Aha, I've seen that going through the course handbook myself. Though I've asked a couple friends who do Comp Sci in UNSW and they've mentioned majoring in comp sci is basically useless.

I was told the default course allows you to have a greater sense of freedoming by picking your units and that majoring would limit my choices.

dav53521

HSC
Also not sure what do you mean by very highly theoretical???? Highly theoretical implies a pure study of computing solely focused around the logic and mathematics moreso than its applications. For that I'll disagree but I can understand if you mean it is formal.
I think this idea comes from how UTS advertises itself as a more practical uni as it advertises that it has a "hands-on" learning approach compared to other unis.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Aha, I've seen that going through the course handbook myself. Though I've asked a couple friends who do Comp Sci in UNSW and they've mentioned majoring in comp sci is basically useless.

I was told the default course allows you to have a greater sense of freedoming by picking your units and that majoring would limit my choices.
Yeah it is. You do mostly the same bulk of content (core courses) but the majors arent really majors but moreso like a guide for what electives to pick for a relevant field (poinltess IMO) but just saying its there 🤷‍♂️ lmao.

But my point is you shouldn't buy into that myth since a good chunk of CS students do go off into internships in their 2nd-3rd year and many if not all have a very pragmatic approach (most dont care abt maths), however you have plenty other reasons that are valid to avoid it. Firstly, I think the degree might be too general for you but personally that's what I like about it, I do want a general broad knowledge on computing where I can go apply it to other fields BUT if you are deadset on cybersec, then it may not be the best.

I will say the CS staff are excellent and the course structures are great (at least for introductory level), if you have no knowledge about computing prior hand, they will get you to that level. Pacing isn't too bad as well. Can't speak for other courses however.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)