UNSW compsci/comm OR engineering/compsci vs USYD engineering + space engineering (1 Viewer)

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Since I finished my last school exam last Friday, I thought I'd take the weekends off to think about which courses to do in uni. I went to the UNSW open day and from what I've gathered only a select few actually interests me. As of right now, these are the main courses I have in mind (tho subject to change), and I have some questions I would like cleared up - somehow all of these came up after the open day :)

- compsci/comm
- engineering/compsci
- usyd's engineering honours with space engineering

My main concerns are:
With compsci/comm: I feel like this is just the default course, but also probably the safest. Its decently hard but I think I should be alright since I'm planning to learn the fundamentals beforehand after hsc is over (though this only helps me for the first year at most). The issue I have with compsci is that apparently internships are very competitive, but I know its something you consider during your last few years. Still, because theres so many people doing it every year, what happens if you cant get one? And also, what is the employment rate for compsci since theres so many every year, surely you have to stand out quite a lot to get hired and get a decent pay? Correct me if I'm wrong but from my knowledge salary is like 70-100k for first year grads? Can anyone confirm/correct me?

With engineering/compsci: This is probably the most likely, but I'm afraid it might be too difficult + not sure if engineering and comspci double degree actually provides any benefits since I'm most likely doing mechanical or aerospace/aeronautical if I choose engineering. Mining is also a viable option - I've heard australias pretty big on it, but again, not related at all to compsci. Would it just be better to do engineering by itself or compsci/comm? Also what is roughly the salary expectation for mechanical/mining/aerospace/aeronautical, is it signifcantly lower compared to cs? I know biomed is ridiculously low. Its not a big issue but I'd rather do the higher paying one since both interests me at a similar level - hence why I'm considering doing a double degree for both.

Finally usyds course - I'm curious as to why this course has a selection rank of 99 without adjustments, since all the rest I'm considering are only around low 90s with adjustments. Why is it so hard to get in? Is it because of difficulty? But unsw offers similar courses with a lot lower required selection rank. I've also heard Australia's not that big on aerospace, so employment might be an issue? Could someone please clarify/confirm if thats the case? Since I wouldn't bother going through all that hassle just to barely make it in, then regret it since its hard to find a good paying job. Also not sure what grad salary expectations are.

If anyone's currently doing these courses/ can answer some of my questions, that'll be greatly appreciated :)

*And if it makes it any difference here are my subjects in order of performance internally:
eng adv, mx1, engineering studies, mx2, eng ext, physics (just to clarify: my physics was above average, but it dropped down because of working scientifically - not knowledge and understanding)

Last edited:

dav53521

HSC
And also, what is the employment rate for compsci since theres so many every year, surely you have to stand out quite a lot to get hired and get a decent pay? Correct me if I'm wrong but from my knowledge salary is like 70-100k for first year grads?
This one depends quite a bit on the company because iirc many big software companies at the moment are basically in a hiring freeze because they over hired during Covid, went on massive layoff sprees and are now in a some-what of a hiring freeze to settle. But some other software companies are still hiring as I know that my company has actually been increasing its employee count quite a bit over the past year and they haven't gone on a layoff spree (yet).

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my knowledge salary is like 70-100k for first year grads?
Depends on the company I know on the average salary sites they say the average salary for a junior dev/engineer is around 70k but some will pay more and some will pay less.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
This one depends quite a bit on the company because iirc many big software companies at the moment are basically in a hiring freeze because they over hired during Covid, went on massive layoff sprees and are now in a some-what of a hiring freeze to settle. But some other software companies are still hiring as I know that my company has actually been increasing its employee count quite a bit over the past year and they haven't gone on a layoff spree (yet).

Depends on the company I know on the average salary sites they say the average salary for a junior dev/engineer is around 70k but some will pay more and some will pay less.
thank you so much! Just a quick q: if i graduate in 2029, would that still affect me as much? If not more?

dav53521

HSC
thank you so much! Just a quick q: if i graduate in 2029, would that still affect me as much?
Tbh I truly don't know. I would assume that many companies will be a lot more open to hiring more employees as they probably would've overcome the over hiring issues by then, but there could still be the issue of too many graduates for the number of junior-level jobs.

carrotsss

HSC
I was also interested in space engineering but I'd highly recommend you read these posts about it:

and for salary/course satisfaction information comparED is quite useful

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
what interests you in commerce and engineering? because from your descriptions of the course seem like your intent lies with comp sci and engo or commerce is a second to open the options

howcanibesmarter

HSC
what interests you in commerce and engineering? because from your descriptions of the course seem like your intent lies with comp sci and engo or commerce is a second to open the options
i took commerce and economics in yr10& 11 and found it decently enjoyable (definitely not my preferred, but I didn't mind the lessons), the only reason i dropped was because I got into 4u (which I was not planning on) and my enginnering rank was a bit better than my economics (considering i put far less effort into engineering). From what i've heard, commerce is also pretty chill and takes your mind off the dry aspect of compsci. As with engineering, well, both are difficult.

Engineering I took since the start of yr9, and ive alway did quite well (roughly top 10 out of 45) without much studying. Some parts stood out tho, like aeronautical and mechanical, but now I'm sort of unsure (since I might not be able to put up with uni-level of engineering since its significantly harder). Essentially, its like what you said, its kinda just extra options, just looking into possible courses I meet the standard for. I also want to do a double degree, hence I picked comm/engineering. This just means in case I despise compsci, I at least have something I can continue rather than just starting from square 1 again.

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
i took commerce and economics in yr10& 11 and found it decently enjoyable (definitely not my preferred, but I didn't mind the lessons), the only reason i dropped was because I got into 4u (which I was not planning on) and my enginnering rank was a bit better than my economics (considering i put far less effort into engineering). From what i've heard, commerce is also pretty chill and takes your mind off the dry aspect of compsci. As with engineering, well, both are difficult.
lucky for you it’s not too different (in first year as that’s all I’ve done). The maths is a bit of a step up if you choose econ, but nothing you wouldn’t be able to handle given your circumstances. It hasn’t been that hard yet either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)