UNSW Colleges... (1 Viewer)

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hi there :p
I was just wondering if anyone here lives at an UNSW College...the two that I am particularly interested about is Basser College and New College.

Just wondering what are the pros and cons of each college...

also, i couldn't find the fees for New College anywhere :|, so does anyone know who much it costs to go to New College?

thanks!

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
There's a couple of us on the board that live in New College, and if they feel the same was as me (and the rest of the new residents) they'd have no hesitation in saying that it is without doubt the best of the colleges...

There's a couple of threads already on the board about the colleges, and the same stuff would be said over in each, so have a look at these:

Colleges: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=41620&highlight=college

Colleges (Accomodation): http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=11572&highlight=college

But the other thing: fees...
New is $275 p/w (at least it was this year... *awaits letter to say fee increase*)

Some things that will be commonly mentioned in other threads:
- New has no alcohol inside college.
- Warrane has no women inside college.
- New considered the academic of the colleges... With lots of med/engineers...

Some things that may not be mentioned in other threads:
- We have a new floor now. Good/bad whatever you want to think about that. You won't get onto the new floor in your first year though. Rooms are (much) bigger, considered less sociable up there though...
- Internet is more expensive in new (we are working on this at the moment...). It wont bother you if you dont use it that much, and I wouldnt let this decide where you go... Libraries have lovely free internet.
- I know my mate in Basser complains that he has to vacate his room (pack up and take everything) over every break, where as we only vacate our room during mid year break (and at the end of the year).
- His room is much smaller than mine. Much smaller.

Most people in new stay there for a number of years, because its a great place to live. Everyone is friendly, its a nice environment, theres good academic support, etc etc its all good.

PM if you want more.

s2ophie

HSC
Fees are going up $11 at New for next year.

Everything Fosweb said is true. New is the best college.

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hmm, yes New College does sound like the college for me....though I didn't apply for it :| i think i might call them right now, and hope I have a chance.

I did apply for Basser College though haven't got any reply yet...

and out of curiousity, how do they charge internet usage? i read somewhere, i think somewhere in this forum that a college charges 4.4c/mb.....thats painful :| i guess i'll be visiting hte libraries ALOT!

thanks everyone!
pyko :p

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
pyko said:
and out of curiousity, how do they charge internet usage? i read somewhere, i think somewhere in this forum that a college charges 4.4c/mb.....thats painful :| i guess i'll be visiting hte libraries ALOT!
It's 4.5 times more painful than that.

To get around that problem:
Value the 175mb you get free at the start of every session... There's lots of stuff that you think you want on servers (like the CSE server) internally... CSE also has a mirror for windowsupdate server... Use unimail, not web based mails... All internal traffic is free.

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hmm, i wonder how far 175mb will go. And its nice to know that internal traffic is free....(is this the case for all colleges)?

oh, and with the webbased mail, can you check them in the library?

well, i've just sent my New College Application - hopefully i'll get in.

thanks again :D

s2ophie

HSC
Asquithian said:
the library isnt very far away really :\ most college people i know just go to the library to study...they dont really do much in their rooms
either that or there are plenty of places in college where you can go to study quietly. meeting rooms, dining hall etc.

grimreaper

HSC
Well I'm really happy because I got accepted into Basser college. When I got the tour around the place by the senior fellow it seemed to me to be as good as, if not better than, New and Shalom college (which I went through at the open day), though thats just a general opinion on first inspection of course. And yeah, the internet situation sucks as I use it a fair bit but its good to know internal stuff is free. So anyway, does anyone know much about Basser, did I make the "right" decision?

Oh and another thing I should mention for the original poster is that in Basser everyone has their own basin in their room, while I'm pretty sure New college doesnt.

Last edited:

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hi there grimreaper,
yeah, i knew that Basser has their own basin (that was actually what made me chose it over the other Kenso Colleges), but thanks for mentioning it anyway :p

and out of curiosity, what made the first impression of Basser better than the other colleges?

and i guess everyone will agree that the internet deal sux, ah wells, cest la vie.

Chris!

The basser rooms surround 2 courtyards, which is so much more open than the hallways of rooms at baxter, its heaps brighter at basser

username?

HSC
any priority for international students?

Hey, any one know if international students get some kind of priority in terms of accoomodation? I applied for the kensos in sept and havent received a word until today. Says the head of basser college is still considering. I only applied to the kensington colleges (no priority as to which one) and gonna be in a fix if i dont get in, especially since im coming next month and havent been to sydney before. when do they normally say yes or no? and how many international students reside in college?

grimreaper

HSC
username? said:
Hey, any one know if international students get some kind of priority in terms of accoomodation? I applied for the kensos in sept and havent received a word until today. Says the head of basser college is still considering. I only applied to the kensington colleges (no priority as to which one) and gonna be in a fix if i dont get in, especially since im coming next month and havent been to sydney before. when do they normally say yes or no? and how many international students reside in college?
They usually give preference to international students as far as I've heard, especially the uni-owned colleges (i.e. the kensos). You should probably ring them up or something and ask them whats going on if youve only had one letter since sept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)