• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

unsw bcom reviews (1 Viewer)

sy14

HSC
Planning on apply to unsw for its bachelor of commerce program . Would apprecaite any sort of reviews or suggestions regarding it . Thank you in advance :)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Very legit, would recommend/10

HSC
If I could go back I'd do a science(advanced mathematics) degree over a commerce degree anyday. Too many students do commerce. Its over saturated and an overrated degree.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
well a lot of people are uni doing comm are lazing around and not even bothering to expand their extra cirriculars

HSC
Math's degrees are so underrated and everyone gives it shit. But from what I've seen at university degrees that rely heavily on mathematics such as engineering, actuarial studies and mathematics degrees are the most practical and highly sought after. It's pretty much because of the problem solving skills you gain throughout the degree.This is way better than any rote learning commerce kid out there.

With a maths degree you can work pretty much everywhere. There are like separate divisions in investment banks for scientists, engineers and mathematicians. They're even more important now considering the world we live in. Technology and BIG DATA dominates and a maths degree in statistics would get you places. Maths is pretty much another unique language that not many people understand and those that do understand it are very valuable.

If you're interested look up Optiver. They're a trading company and they pretty much hire maths graduates to make them the big $$$. There's a guy his name is Sen Lin (James Ruse) he has an adv maths degree of UNSW and came first for both MX1 and MX2. Works as a banker/trader at optiver.

Google loves science and maths kids. Anthony Morris (http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/current-students/wavelength/2013/july/alumni) is another one of these smarties. Did advanced maths majoring in pure mathematics. He has a job working at google. Pure mathematics and coding/computers don't seem really compatible right? Well not really the problem solving skilsl from maths is so highly sought after that these firms will eat these kids up.

So yeah just providing a new perspective on things. IF YOU REALLY MUST DO COMMERCE/BUSINESS maybe try the commerce/science(adv maths) degree. I shit you not some of the most gifted people do mathematics.

HSC
Oh yeah check out this guy: http://au.linkedin.com/in/lianggary. He is a god and i respect him heaps. Another 99.95 kid with a bunch of state ranks. He has done more in his first 2 years of uni than what most people will accomplish in their entire lives. Btw he does economics/adv maths (pure mathematics).

Any firm would hire him over your generic commerce student.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Oh yeah definitely, grab a good internship or two (or more if you can) and you've suddenly increased your employability by so much just because most other comm students don't bother with this. Also look at previous years' stats (http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/research/researchreports/gradstats/) to get a better idea.
It's pretty hard to get an internship tho, I would think its other comm students don't get it more than other comm students don't bother trying?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm talking about more than just the penultimate internship opportunities that the big people offer (like KPMG and JPMorgan). I'm talking more about internships like those at smaller companies who may not advertise internship opportunities but are still willing to take students in if they get contacted.

Quantum College, you do have a point. Also, lots of the commerce jobs (like IB) offer training classes before they start work so those who didn't do commerce aren't at a disadvantage. But if OP wants to work as an accountant (or any other job position that requires a strong knowledge of commerce subjects), then he/she'd be better off studying commerce than studying engineering or adv maths.

HSC
I'm talking about more than just the penultimate internship opportunities that the big people offer (like KPMG and JPMorgan). I'm talking more about internships like those at smaller companies who may not advertise internship opportunities but are still willing to take students in if they get contacted.

Quantum College, you do have a point. Also, lots of the commerce jobs (like IB) offer training classes before they start work so those who didn't do commerce aren't at a disadvantage. But if OP wants to work as an accountant (or any other job position that requires a strong knowledge of commerce subjects), then he/she'd be better off studying commerce than studying engineering or adv maths.

Yep of course! if you want to be an accountant or like an actuary then for sure do commerce with a major in accounting or actuarial studies. But if you really want different options I definitely recommend adv maths. Possibilities are endless.

HSC

Yep of course! if you want to be an accountant or like an actuary then for sure do commerce with a major in accounting or actuarial studies. But if you really want different options I definitely recommend adv maths. Possibilities are endless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)