UNSW AAA Award (1 Viewer)

historia

HSC
there's no rush, mate. Just call them tomorrow to find out what is going on.
Haha cheers mate sorry I kind of had a minor panic attack there for a second. I saw you were one of the people who got an offer, by any chance did it say what date you have to accept it by?

acronical

HSC
I think unsw is in the new year lockdown now until the 5th so you can't call anyone yet.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Woo. The high school would nominate one who didnt necessarily have the highest ATAR in the past lol lol

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I really needed to push the USYD claim to some girl who went to my school. I would have picked up the AAA.

mreditor16

HSC
Haha cheers mate sorry I kind of had a minor panic attack there for a second. I saw you were one of the people who got an offer, by any chance did it say what date you have to accept it by?
no it didn't :/

Jay123

HSC
Guys quick question, if you got the AAA award, are the bonus points automatically added by UAC if you have unsw as your first preference...or do we have to notify them?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Guys quick question, if you got the AAA award, are the bonus points automatically added by UAC if you have unsw as your first preference...or do we have to notify them?
That's not exactly how it works with bonus points. Bonus points only help with admission to programs where you have missed the cut-off but a certain amount, but have exceeded that amount in these bonus points. UAC does nothing here.

To put things into perspective with the good old beer analogy, imagine you have a glass of beer. Now the cut-off is some line marked on the glass. What happens is that your actual ATAR is the actual liquid of the beer. Now at the top you have foam at the top. Both these volumes can vary quite a bit. So what happens is that the bonus points you get are the foam at the top.

Now depending on the program you have as a preference, the foam can be real or imaginary. Meanwhile the liquid of the beer stays the same at all times and will never vary. You will have a specific amount of foam given to you as these are the bonus points. In the end, what you need is the total of adding the volume of beer and foam to surpass the volume which is the cut-off (which is marked on the glass as a line).

Does this make sense? A bit confusing at first but when you get it you can use this analogy for a lot of things like this (Real and Complex Power ftw!), definitely including bonus points.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
My school captain got the AAA and never wanted to go UNSW. He's at usyd, so doesn't really matter what your preference is, your school just nominates typically (unless they specifically ask the students - which my school didn't do)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My school captain got the AAA and never wanted to go UNSW. He's at usyd, so doesn't really matter what your preference is, your school just nominates typically (unless they specifically ask the students - which my school didn't do)
Nah this year they changed it:

You are correct. They changed it for this year onwards:

UNSW Scholarships said:
THERE IS NO NOMINATION OR APPLICATION REQUIRED

AAA offers will be made by UNSW to students that achieve the highest ATAR (not including bonus points) at eligible NSW and ACT high schools and accept an offer and enrol at UNSW in a full-time Undergraduate program.
Quite surprised they changed the specification actually.
Dw I was fooled to and completely unaware of the change.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Quite surprised that they changed the eligibility of residency as well

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
its much better now, my bloody school didnt give a damn so the AAA went to no one in my year, since the school nominated the dux regardless of their usyd preference

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)