UNSW 3 hour maths exam (1 Viewer)

silvi_1

HSC
Hi there,

I was recently told about a maths exam run by UNSW that goes for 3 hours long and consists of some very hard questions. I've heard very few people complete it over the state (NSW)... has anyone heard of this sort of test? I think it has a name of something or rather 'statistics' and such....

Anyhow, I'm keen to participate in it, but I would like a general overview of the type of test it is before I do conduct it.
Any advice would be GREAT! :jump:

Thanks

MetroMattums

HSC
It's called the UNSW Mathematics Competition. Very original name haha

The questions they ask you are outside the BoS syllabus for maths and they can potentially be very hard. You have to think laterally and carefully - marks are awarded for your method, not attaining the answer.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Hi there,

I was recently told about a maths exam run by UNSW that goes for 3 hours long and consists of some very hard questions. I've heard very few people complete it over the state (NSW)... has anyone heard of this sort of test? I think it has a name of something or rather 'statistics' and such....

Anyhow, I'm keen to participate in it, but I would like a general overview of the type of test it is before I do conduct it.
Any advice would be GREAT! :jump:

Thanks
It might be a bit out of your league, considering you are doing the HSC in 2012

MetroMattums

HSC
Yarrr.

If i recall correctly, most of the questions are multiple with short answers in the end. You can guess the MC and get a distinction XD
Haha that's the Westpac. ;P

There's a different one where you have to provide answers with full working out from UNSW.

xV1P3R

HSC
It's an open book exam with about 8 questions or so. Very challenging and moneys for a distinction

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Yah, I did this for the past 2 years, and is doing it this year.

Pretty challenging but I've got to admit, fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)