unseen tactics (1 Viewer)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
alrite... im gona do this... im gona post a relevant thread in the latin forum for once... i noe its breaking with tradition but if i dont do it now... there would not be a single relevant latin thread this year...

okai... clearly the most dreaded part of latin cont + latin ext is the unseen...
how do u ppl approach unseens...
like any hints or tactics or wotever....
n how long do u ppl spend on unseen... eg. 3hr exams i ususally spend about an hour... but the front page recommends 40min...

yeh so give me ur thoughts...

oh... n anyone care to hazard a guess at wot unseen they gona give us this year... i noe its a long shot... but if u actually ges it... all well that ends well...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Look who's back!

Since the Classics exams are obviously different to the Contemporaries I'm not one to comment on the content, though I would assume that this unseen bit is the hardest and worth the most marks. If (like ours) your first section is ludicrously easy leave it to last, since you can afford to rush that. Spending an hour for a 40-minute section is only worth the risk if during the reading time you decide that you can afford to lose those 20 minutes in the other bits. If you covertly mark your dictionary you can save time. :)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
If you covertly mark your dictionary you can save time. :)
unfortunately, dictionaries are not allowed into classics exams :(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
- just get a feel for the whole unseen, ie. try to understand what's happening, ie. the main characters and their actions
- after that work out each sentence, ie. the details - adverbs, adj, etc.
- just take your time, unseens (and previously, grammar) are use to divide students

dunno, really... can't remember much

- maybe derivations might help in terms of vocab
- if you've read the rest or your prescribed text, the intro might give some clue, if it's impossible for you on the day

Last edited:

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
pigs... frigid... have u done the unseens they gave our yr 12 lat cont's last yr (sbhs)

it was a killer... i spent an hr on it... n still couldnt make out wot the fuck's going on... the virgil passage was just obscure... had no idea wot the hell it was on about... the cicero passage was damn long... 40% as long as it normally is...

matsos set it... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... hope this yr's hsc not that hard

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
cicero is usually easier to tackle, btw... because of the similar language techniques, theme, and vocabulary... he does say the same thing 100 times in different ways :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)