unplesent (1 Viewer)

orange-rg

i was just wondering if anyone who is currently doing art there hsc feels the same way...
i have been into art since a young age, however i am really not enjoying yr 12 visual arts!
i know this will probably seem stupid, but i can't stand the fact that i will get a mark put to my artwork. it's such a personal thing, its like the markers are defining part of my worth as a person or something.
i really do not like competition, and i think i am losing confidence in myself. i know there are lots of students, but i never feel aknowledged for my effort and wealth of ideas.
i know teachers have there pets, and i'm only doing this to please myself but one of the most importaint things to me is my creative ability and i can't stand to have that 'evaluated'.
i'm sorry for all my wingeing, but it did make me feel a bit better :D.
so does anyone feel that visual arts as a yr 12 subject can be upsetting sometimes?

heaheahheah

yeah i know what ur talking about.
its like gee that person took so long to think about that idea.
even hearing wat others say at art express. year sevens and up are like whoa thats nice, and they move on.
its like u wanna scream out
DUDE!! can't u see the sweat i've put into this!!!

its fustrating. like they are evaluating you. and its even worse if they give u a low marK! :D

Bree

I hate art

I used to luv art until this year my teacher seems to just be negative about everything i do or want to do art is a personal choice and they cant tell us what to do because its not their choice im glad there are some people out there in my position

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Yep....art isn't as enjoyable anymore. I have an art teacher breathing down my neck telling me to hurry up and to do this and that and I'm running behind time....plus I dislike working in such a confined space with so many other people that scurry about asking questions about my themes and other such personal questions when they should be concerned with their own works.

Plus we get really long, boring video 'case studies' which imo aren't really case studies if the teacher doesn't give us a huge talk about them. Video days are always a drag...yet eye opening.

Uggy

i get SO angry everytime i talk to my teacher about my bow! its like she completely forgets what im going on about and tries to change it completely!!! And when i explain to her what i want to do, and shes happy with it AGAIN sher comes along later and tries to change it! like i wanna do it in charcoal, but she thinks i keep 'coming back' these colour drawings i did LAST YEAR!!!!!! which i stopped doing LAST YEAR!!! arggghhhh. Ive told her i wanna do it in just charcoal, but i got marked down because i didnt have 'colour drawings' in my final proposal. and i completely finalised it in my vapd, yet SHE doesnt think so!

this is what i wanna do, but she cant accept it, im finally happy with my concept and everything (which she got me 2 change to anyway) and now she wants me to change it AGAIN! but then tells me im running out of time to finsih it!!!!

tash

lalalala
HSC
yeah i totally know how u feel cos when i'm doing mine i keep feeling sort of restricted on my idea cos i want 2 get a good mark 4 it and the whole mark thing hovers over me when there r such fantastic artworks out there by real artists who would get a lower mark cos they have no concept or whatever. it's really annoying!
i don't particularly enjoy art either cos my teacher likes ppl who do textured stuff and weird stuff but i prefer realism so she tends 2 ignore me a lot of the time.yeah she keeps yapping on about my last year stuff and i'm like 'i don't wanna do that any more!'
i wish art was better. theory sux 2 cos i hate the bloody conceptual framework- it's a usless concept that was invented 2 give us something 2 write about.
oh i'm so glad i'm not the only 1 who feels like this!thanx guys

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I feel the same

I think I'm in the same boat as you too -
I loved to do art and since yr 11, I have had no motivation to do anything they want - with a deserved effort.
I"m kinda on the track I wanna go with my major, but to me, it doesn't seem good enough.....but we'll stop on that, b/c that kind of negative stuff is reserved for another thread...

:chainsaw:
I still love this icon

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i went through a similar phase last year (except mine was sort of finished by this time last year) -- wasn't motivated, stuck for ideas, and my teacher was always trying to get me to rework some of my older stuff, which i wanted to move away from & try something new. just keep doing stuff though... you'll pull through (don't know how i did though :rolleyes: )

PsyCheDeliC

it sux how the teachers keep trying to change your ideas, i mean sure they probably know wat is good to do but the point of the work is for us to explore new ideas and find out wat we are comfortable with not just to do wat our teachers like.
my teacher isnt too bad with that stuff for me cos im pretty set on my idea and i keep to myself alot so she doesnt interfere too much.

Although she does want me to try painting on different sufaces but wat else can you paint on other than canvas?? she keeps saying i should try to make the material relate to the theme but wat mateials relate to perceptions of reality??? Crazy

wow i sure can babble huh!?

tash

lalalala
HSC
hey u sound a bit like me! i swear my teacher doesn't know what she's talking about so i just quietly paint away and whilst she ignores me...
with the pianting on different surfaces, seroiusly just try anything, like different textured papers etc, plastic, fabric whatever. u can get some really cool effects depending on what u use and allows u 2 express ur idea more. i really like that sort of stuff so if you don't then just ignore that comment. ahhh must go start doing some of my bow!

*tasha*

And here I was thinking it was only me who was starting to get irritated by Year 12 art....

Our class all has different ways of expressing themselves. Some through different mediums and others through detail. Then there are the others who work well with objects and put them together to create a scene of their own - expressing themselves.

But it would seem that no matter what - the teacher knows best and everything has to go her way. If there's an idea that we believe has the slightest chance of working even in our minds, and the teacher disagrees, that's it, it's been binned.

Either way, we're only 16 weeks away so I just hope that everyone is going OK, but maybe most importantly, they are creating a piece of art that means something to THEM and not just anyone else that may criticise it.

Fake_Plastic

Hey, I know what you all mean...Agghh! Art teachers are kinda scary! Mine is nice and everything, but when I think that in all subjects the teachers want you to do your best, and in art they seem to really have to/want to push us...and when its with something creative like art is, then its so hard!
I only just started my BOW and ...yeah...the teacher was on at me for ages and didn't like my ideas...I'm glad theres other people with the same trouble...it just seems like we've got this big competition, and our work is going to be judged, and I can't handle that!

OMG, this pig is cute! :apig:

tash

lalalala
HSC
oh my teacher is not encouraging at all- her form of encouragement for me is coming over and looking at what i'm doing every few days, saying 'oh that's nice' in some artificial way and then asking how much i've done (about 3/9 works) and going 'oh u'd better get a move on' and that's about it. she doesn't tell me any way in which i could improve my idea or anything! so for all i know it could b a crap idea and i don't know it cos she won't tell me.
she managed 2 degrade my work down 2 'painting people on backgrounds with music' the other day and i was so offended cos there's all this concept and symbolism behind it and 2 put it down 2 that i think is really insulting.

why are teachers so spastic?????????

craz

HSC
wow I can't believe this though. My teacher is so encouraging. My art has jumped over milestones! I can't even believe I am doing art, but then again I have a small class and sometimes you feel like aughh when can i get this done and why is she doing this to me, but I'm happy doing art.

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
But look on the bright side everybody!! The final work(and current ones) are double marked.

So you don't have to worry about the teacher's likes and dislikes.;) My advice to you all is to keep on going at your own pace yet don't get too precious about your work.

Gelapo

Yeh, art as a student doesn't make me feel like much of an artist. I mean there's just too much restrictions and pressure, sumtimes I wunda wether I make my stuff for "me" to express or for "me" to get the marks. Its kinda ironic though isn't it? I mean here we are learning that art is about communicating & expressing YOUR ideas, there is no WRONG or RIGHT. Yet the marks we get for it will ultimatley reflect how wrong or right we got it.

Though I don't think that we should directly blame our teachers for it...they're only the surface of the pretty picture.

craz

HSC
I think the most important thing is to be able to express yourself within your artwork while you are making it. I don't think the teacher matters as long as you are motivated

foxy

i was made for lovin u...
i think the art teachers are panicking for us, if we're not panicking ourselves...

the "Art Troll" as we call her, isnt really our teacher (but the head of the Art dept.) and comes in and gives each of us individual little lectures about how we need to do this and that and how last year HER class had nearly finished, and HER class was not stressed and HER class this and that....AAHHHH!

but anywho...our teacher's making us come to school in the holidays to have an 'art workshop' aka...."hurry and cram all the art you can do in one day so your work looks marginally good"

craz

HSC
Wow you guys really are unlucky. Us - we're the first year 12's to do art! and i'm telling u we're panicking not our teacher and we are choosing to go in voluntarily with teacher supervision as we all want to do really well! Anyways...the countdown is on and my artwork is like 60-70% done which is not good - hopefully i can finish most of the artwork in the holidays and do the patch ups when we go back.

pri

HSC
N/A
im loving art, mainly because my teacher likes my idea, and its going well... bout 75% done, which is good, Im going to go over the limit.
\
However my theory is crappy, so im kinda concerned bout that and we have only done 3 case studies so far... 2 to cram in for the HSC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)