unpaid work (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
it's been happening to me a lot lately, I go in to apply for a paid job, get to the interview stage and then they say 3 months unpaid work first then we MIGHT keep you on for paid work...is this happening to anyone else?

and i also noticed like on seek and stuff they have "unpaid internships"

How is a student supposed to make money these days?

Skeeta

HSC
well it depends if they are hiring you as an employee or work experience.

you dont get payed for work experience so usually if its something that people are dying to do - and its a short stint, you might not get paid.. simply because its the experience that you go there for and not the money

That being said.. I think 3 months (unless its 1 day per week) is unreasonable BUT it depends on what the job is.
What have you been looking for?

edit: For example, if you're doing journalism, you can do an unpaid internship with your local paper - because its valuable to have published work in your portfolio.. it also shows you are dedicated etc - plus it allows you to make connections

Last edited:

= Jennifer =

HSC
Skeeta said:
well it depends if they are hiring you as an employee or work experience.

you dont get payed for work experience so usually if its something that people are dying to do - and its a short stint, you might not get paid.. simply because its the experience that you go there for and not the money

That being said.. I think 3 months (unless its 1 day per week) is unreasonable BUT it depends on what the job is.
What have you been looking for?

edit: For example, if you're doing journalism, you can do an unpaid internship with your local paper - because its valuable to have published work in your portfolio.. it also shows you are dedicated etc - plus it allows you to make connections
yeah i understand you do not get paid for work experience and internships for the reasons you outlined in your post :)

like the jobs i have been looking at are like law clerk, secretary, research assistant, etc in the ads they create the impression you will be paid and then when you go to the interview that impression is still evident but when u get the call back it's another story...

pottsy44

HSC
for those kind of jobs they aint paying you?? wtf that is bs i get paid alright money for doing work half the time im at work. i also know two guys at ernst & young who get paid good money for not doing a whole lot of work either.

in my opinion i would never work full-time-ish work and not get paid for it.

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
It is a legal requirement that you be paid for any work, even as a trial or work experience - even if that is just a nominal amount.

Where are you applying, which industry? what sort of companies?

Skeeta

HSC
then how are schools shipping hundreds of kids out to work placement and work experience every year for not getting paid?

giddycat88

HSC
N/A
Wow, I'll never do work if it's going to be 'unpaid'. It just seems like a waste of time and effort.

I think maybe you should do something else like tutoring? Like, I hate studying and I'm not that good at my course so instead I'm going to be a piano tutor after my finals. The pay is much better, too.

Bendent

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
it's been happening to me a lot lately, I go in to apply for a paid job, get to the interview stage and then they say 3 months unpaid work first then we MIGHT keep you on for paid work...is this happening to anyone else?

and i also noticed like on seek and stuff they have "unpaid internships"

How is a student supposed to make money these days?
i think if you get introduced for a job that'd be totally lucky.

don't do unpaid work.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Skeeta said:
then how are schools shipping hundreds of kids out to work placement and work experience every year for not getting paid?
In Victoria, at least, all students on Work Experience must be paid. I believe the minimum wage is $5/day, but employers tend to pay more than that.

T

Testpilot

Excalibur_ said:
In Victoria, at least, all students on Work Experience must be paid. I believe the minimum wage is $5/day, but employers tend to pay more than that.
Wow! $5, they may as well not pay you.

HSC
Excalibur_ said:
I got paid nothing for my work experience, but $5 a day is pretty lousy.

hellomike

HSC
Unpaid work experience or internships are not ideal for you. It would seem ideal for the company because they are hiring someone who doesn't have to be paid but think of yourself down the track doing good work without being paid for it. Even being a junior its a risk factor if it is a small company. Don't apply for work experience or internships without getting paid. You should get paid for it and you would possibly be offer a full-time role.

There should be a notable difference though. Work experience and Internships might interchange. Work Experience in relation to school is unpaid. If you use the word work experience whereby your working for a company for a few months, then you should be paid. Internships is the better use of term.

Raginsheep

HSC
Just sue their arses for unpaid work when you leave the company :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)