unpaid orientation day (1 Viewer)

pete_mate

HSC
woolworths want me to goto this unpaid orientation day of the opening of this new store.

i get asked to go on the phone and they say its for about to hours, so i go "is this paid?"

and he goes, "no,"

<awkward silence>

legally this can't be right, but i dont want to piss them off as if only been with them for a month and im about to leave in like 1 week, i already have jobs lined up.

is a reference for a 1 month job useless anyways?

kalli

HSC
I would say a reference for 1 month isnt worth it. if I were an employer i wouldnt like to see people leaving jobs after one month... why did they leave? no loyalty? lied about qualifications on resume and then couldnt handle it? i personally think that reliability is a HUGE employment factor with uni students or young adults.

if they question a 1 month gap in your resume (which i doubt) just say u were job hunting or helping your parents or something like that.

Skeeta

HSC
Orientations are generally unpaid - its just an introduction to the store
unless you're actually working, then they shouldnt have to pay you

soon people are going to be expected to bloody be paid for their interviews

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
As kalli says, I agree that a 1 month reference is more or less useless (Research suggests that references in general are more or less useless).

Skeeta said:
unless you're actually working, then they shouldnt have to pay you
Not true: if you're at work, and available to work, and they've not told you to home, you're entitled to be paid. Common example is where it's after-hours, and managment/you are counting up the tills, on your own time. Simply, if you're there and there's the availability for your employer to issue 'orders' to you, the employer is under an unqualified obligation to pay you. Perhaps if pete_mate went along, they wouldn't have to pay becuase it might be seen that a verbal contract existed between the requester and he that he'd turn up for no pay. but for various technical reasons (lack of consideration) I don't think that'd hold up. In turn, even despite his apparent acceptance to turn up without pay, he'd be entitled to it.

Give the office of the employment advocate a call, or I'll pull out the common law cases out of my emp law book, if you're interested.
Skeeta said:
Soon people are going to be expected to bloody be paid for their interviews
...no, you don't get paid for the recruitment/selection procedure. Also includes orientations, but (I believe) not training.

pete_mate

HSC
im already employed tho, so its like, another orientation.

which means its a bit of a joke.

i didnt turn up, and i think i've missed some shifts, does that mean im gonna get fired?

hehe this'd be funny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)