• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Unnecessary Pressure - FORMAL COMPLAINTS - Stop the BOS madness ! (1 Viewer)

neverbee

HSC
N/A
I am sick to death of educators trying to bully students into performing & guilt them into not cheating. IT HAS TO STOP !

I sat the english paper 1 exam yesterday and was horrified at what i heard. I have not been at school for 8 years and have come back to finally do my HSC. From an adult perspective the tactics being used are not only Bullying but likely dangerous and as far as i can tell illegal - if an employer spoke to an employee in this manner it would be an instant law suit.

(perhapse legal action will be required to change the behavours of educators in future?)

I understand that rules must be made and enforced to keep the exams fair and that this may be difficult when dealing with some groups of students. This however does not give educators the right to use Guilt, Intimidation and threats of the destruction of all hope at the rest of your life to achieve order.

During the reading of the rules the official board of studies moderator stopped at every rule or so to embelish the consequences...

She followed official rules with Statements like

"if you cheat you will get zero and fail this exam"
(fair enough until she starts speaking about the consequences of "failing")

"if you fail this you will be very dissapointed"

"your family will be very dissapointed"

"this last year will have been an absolute waste of time"

"your life will not be worth living"

"if we catch you cheating it may jeopardise your future and then where will you be?"

I am making an official complaint to the BOS this weekend as this type of behavoiur is unacceptable.

From memory, my days in private schools were full of similar "performance inducing" threats that, had i sat my HSC all those years ago, would have undoubtedly raised my stress levels unnecessarily.

It is this sort of unnecessary pressure that helps push those poor people not coping with the stress over the edge.

I urge all of you with similar grievances to lodge your complaints. Students too often accept this behaviour as "OK" or just part of life ... it isnt !

It's not right, it must be stopped and will only stop if WE take action and make it obvious to the BOS that there is actually a problem.

Complaints (preferably in writing as a letter is much harder to ignore than an email) can be addressed to your educational institution, to the BOS or to the NSW Ombudsman.

Thanks for reading

BOS Complaints
The Office's commitment to service includes dealing with any complaints about how the Office's services are delivered in a timely and fair manner.

Central to the Office's management of complaints is its policy of devolving accountability for their resolution to line managers and staff at the point of delivery of services. As a result, the Office is able to directly remedy or resolve problems at the source as they arise. If you are unable to resolve a complaint in this way, you can contact the Office's Customer Liaison Unit using the contact details provided above. Your complaint will then be directed to the officer best able to assist you.

Office of the Board of Studies NSW
ABN: 68 331 844 953
Phone: (02) 9367 8111
Fax: (02) 9367 8484
Hours of Operation: 8.30am to 5.00pm (Mon-Fri)
Street address: 117 Clarence Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Postal address:GPO Box 5300, Sydney NSW 2001
Fax numbers: list of Board of Studies Fax Numbers
Customer Liaison Unit
Phone: (02) 9367 8178
Fax: (02) 9262 6270
Email: customerliaison@boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au
Hours of Operation: 8.00am to 4.30pm (Mon-Fri)

NSW OMBUDSMAN
http://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/complaints/onlinecomplaintform.html

The NSW Ombudsman deals with complaints about NSW agencies or their employees. These agencies include government departments, statutory authorities and some non-government agencies.

You can complain to us if you have made a complaint to a NSW agency and are dissatisfied with the way it was handled. We deal with complaints about NSW agencies such as government departments, councils, correctional centres, juvenile justice centres, police, public schools, universities, TAFE colleges, area health services, child care centres, community services providers and organisations that provide residential care services.

Last edited:

hscwillbehell

HSC
Oh dear. That is not right. Our supervisors were quite nice though. :|

Good on you.

maskd

HSC
Yeah our supervisors included that the rules were pretty ridiculous, and always made sure to state that they didn't like the rules instead it was just the BOS trying to cover their own hides in every aspect.

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
I agree. AND! I hate it when you're writing and they stand behind you breathing down your back!!!!!1 Makes you scared and like a criminal man! also...the ladies read the rules too long, takes up 10 minutes of our exam time and don't even make it up for us!!! what a rip off!

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
our jst read out the documents, no extra shit. when i asked for extra booklet, i got it less than 30 secs

HSC
N/A
I agree with brogan- stuff like that is NOT standard.

"if you fail this you will be very dissapointed"

"your family will be very dissapointed"

"this last year will have been an absolute waste of time"

"your life will not be worth living"

"if we catch you cheating it may jeopardise your future and then where will you be?"
^ the Board of Studies would be facing lawsuits galore if they actually published that sort of stuff and made it mandatory for supervisors to read out. Get the supervisor in trouble... don't assume it's a state-wide issue unless you know it's happened to a bunch of other schools as well.

Bagley

HSC
I agree with neverbee.

This is clearly just another case of the rich white man opressing the poor dumb members of society. Enough is enough.

jfan30

HSC
You're acting like this is some huuuggee isssue. Cheaitng is immoral and cheats are low-lifes. People who don't cheat shouldn't even be bothered or phased by things like what you are saying. If it really does phase you, then get off you're high horse and stop caring cause it is a tiny issue. Most of the exam supervisers are volunteers and are doing a service for the community. Stop being a brat and do ur exams.

T

Testpilot

Somebody's phone rang in our test and the BoS people pretended not to hear it. So not all BoS exam officials are Nazis

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
Bagley said:
I agree with neverbee.

This is clearly just another case of the rich white man opressing the poor dumb members of society. Enough is enough.
damn straight.

fight the man!

its Clearly mysogenistic suppression of women aswell.

beststreet

HSC
N/A
in short, you're all soft. i work part time for a bunch of cunts and thats life.

i hope old mate exam supervisor taught you well, high school is practice for the workplace and in reality, nobody listens to the little guy.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
It's funny how in the suicide thread everyone is saying "we aren't lying when we say there's other paths other than the HSC!! It's stupid someone would kill themselves when there is so much support", yet when someone brings up the issue that certain people are basically telling these students they are scum and should kill themselves if they do bad, people say get over it.

HSC
N/A
yet when someone brings up the issue that certain people are basically telling these students they are scum and should kill themselves if they do bad, people say get over it.
To my recollection, only one person said to get over it whilst several people including myself said to contact the board.

That aside, I like to use whatever is most appropropriate for the situation. This is an isolated case and the OP instantly assumed without research that it's standard practice statewide and got all fired up about it.

Why should we encourage such behaviour? Like, I'm all for 'inspiring people to your cause' when it's justified, but now is really not one of those situations. Plus I think it's kinda stupid that they jumped straight to the "omg the board is pathetic everybody rally together" bandwagon before checking to see whether it had happened at any other schools first. As mentioned previously, the board would be dodging lawsuits left right and centre if what had happened to the OP happened everywhere...

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
neverbee said:
I urge all of you with similar grievances to lodge your complaints. Students too often accept this behaviour as "OK" or just part of life ... it isnt !
That does not say "everyone lodge complaints". I'm quite sure the intention of the original post was to just make the students aware who are having similar experiances that they should not accept it and do something about it. Being told what the OP was can increase the pressure and stress levels on many students and I'm sure there are a few out there who would have no idea what to do about it. Students break down because of pressure like this. I'm sure the post was only intended to help students out, and it does not say that we should all start sending threats to the BOS.

EDIT: Sorry to argue, but I just felt sorry for the original poster who some people came down quite harsh on. The OP was just trying to help some people out if they share/d a similar experiance.

Last edited:

neverbee

HSC
N/A
For the record:

I was most certainly NOT saying "YEW SHOULD COMPLAINZ ABOUT DA EVIL HSC SYSTEM AND DA BOARD OF STUDIES IS EVIL AND SHOULD BE REPORTED TO DA OMBUDSMAN" nor was this post based solely on "what one exam supervisor said in one exam centre in the whole state"

My point was:

These kind of threats were routine at the private high school I went to almost ten years ago and NO ONE complained. Because of the good reputation of the college and the good academic results the method of "strict discipline" created it was "acceptable" for teachers to issue illegal punishments (locking people in broom cupboards for a whole day at a time for eg) and use verbal tactics like that mentioned above.

I would have hoped that by now this kind of rubbish would have stopped however the the supervisor's performance on friday suggested otherwise.

I posted to let anyone who is in that situation know that this type of behaviour is not acceptable (regardless of peoples opinion of the educational institution you attend) and that there are avenues to stand up for your rights.

I am however most certainly not advocating the creation & submission of fictitious complaints or suggesting that the entire BOS is evil.

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
gemrism said:
They take so long to give us extra paper too!!!!
Just put your hand up when your on the last page and write with your other hand so you dont waste anytime lol

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
Yea!!!!!!!!! Damn straight!!!!!!!!!!!

Fight against Racism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone IS BORN Equal Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!

and umm FREEEEEEEEEDOM

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)