University (1 Viewer)

dpospination

HSC
Is 3 unit maths essential to do Engineering after University, i am already doing Physics, 2 Unit Maths(accelerated) (3 unit next year), and engineering studies. any thoughts?

The Kaiser

HSC
dpospination said:
Is 3 unit maths essential to do Engineering after University, i am already doing Physics, 2 Unit Maths(accelerated) (3 unit next year), and engineering studies. any thoughts?
I don't think any school subjects are pre-requisites for university courses, just your UAI. I could be wrong though.

undalay

HSC
Some university coures have pre-requisites.
The two big most common pre-requisites are mathematics and chemistry.

I think its pretty essential that you do atleast 2 units.
It will be beneficial if you do 3.
Although i would think 4units would be best, as engineering is heavily math based.

HSC
dpospination said:
if you're set on engineering i highly recommend you do four unit (well you should be anyway if you're an accelerant). three unit background would suffice though. you can get away with doing two unit but you're really making things that much harder for yourself if you don't do at the very least three unit.

SoMeRaNdOm.

HSC
not really but they have assumed knowledged. i want to be a chemical engineer which has the assumed knowledge of 3 unit maths, physics (all engineering courses have this) and chemistry.
but it also depends of the uni you want to go to, some have required subjects.

dpospination

HSC
yeh, i mean, and the moment, i WILL do 3 unit next year (but no way am i good enough for 4 Unit), but i have a dilemma cause i also wanna do 4 unit english next year, decisions, decisions...

kat0909

HSC
there would be some level of maths required (differs depending on uni)
from what i've been told by friends doing engineering, you should try to do 4 Unit maths if you can...the maths in the course is pretty challenging, even for ppl who did 4 unit, and very challenging for those who haven't
but it obv depends if you can understand 4 unit and if it impacts on your other subjects

undalay

HSC
dpospination said:
yeh, i mean, and the moment, i WILL do 3 unit next year (but no way am i good enough for 4 Unit), but i have a dilemma cause i also wanna do 4 unit english next year, decisions, decisions...
what do u mean your no way good enough for 4u?

if ur shit at math, you'll be a shit engineer

4unit isn't that much harder from 3u, u just need to put in the effort :/

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
undalay said:
what do u mean your no way good enough for 4u?

if ur shit at math, you'll be a shit engineer

4unit isn't that much harder from 3u, u just need to put in the effort :/
Exactly, to succeed in 4u you need to put in a hell of a lot of effort, and since dpospination wants to do 4u english as well that could prevent him from putting the required effort into both subjects.

Dpospination - I reckon if you want to be an engineer you should be doing 4u maths. Try asking if you can do 3u accelerated at school (I know you can do it - I'm in your maths class lol) and then if you work at it this year - you should be able to do 4u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)